Sugar Tiles On Cake And Cake Board

Decorating By SweetMelissa2007 Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm by adree313

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #1 of 13

Does anyone know how to stick sugar tiles to cake or the cake board like on the cake challenge? I have a cake for next weekend that I need to place tiles around the base of the cake and don't know how to stick 'em!

TIA, Melissa

12 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 13

Is the cake going to be buttercream or fondant? If it's fondant you could always use RI. And with buttercream, you could use more fresh buttercream.

But honestly, since it's sugar, it you put a dab of water on the back...it would probably stick to whatever you want and not show thru. I would just make a few cubes and practice.

And maybe someone on here will have a better answer for you!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 13

I would try a dab of corn syrup on a test piece and see how that works. Just a dab so that it can dry well. This way, you don't lose the glass effect of the tile with buttercream or RI behind it. Does that make sense? I know what I'm thinking it's just hard to put into words on a computer screen!

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 13

Yes, Misdawn, that makes sense. I didn't want to use frosting because it is supposed to look like sea glass and I don't want it to show through. It is going on fondant, so I'll try water first and if that doesn't work, then I'll try corn syrup or maybe even piping gel.

A little off topic but has anyone else had problems getting notified when someone responds to a post? I have only been getting emails sporadically. I am trying to remember to go back and check but I wish I would just get the emails again! Sorry for the sidebar-didn't want to start a whole new post!

Misdawn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 13

Yes I just noticed that too!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:11am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMelissa2007

A little off topic but has anyone else had problems getting notified when someone responds to a post? I have only been getting emails sporadically. I am trying to remember to go back and check but I wish I would just get the emails again! Sorry for the sidebar-didn't want to start a whole new post!

It's been happening to me for several months now. I just have to remember to go back and check it!

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 13

Ok, so i'm not crazy or doing something wrong. I guess I just need to do something to "beef up" my brain!! I have another question, of course! I made my tiles in the mold and let them sit overnight (even though they were done really quick) This morning they were sticky on the top. Any ideas on how to make them not sticky once they are already sticky? Also, if done ahead of time, where do you store them?

Misdawn Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 13

Let the m sit where? In the refrigerator? If so, that may be your problem and I would suggest leaving them out to air dry. If not, then I'm not sure what to suggest.

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 13

I left them on the counter. It's been raining on and off so I think that has something to do with it but not sure what to do to prevent it. There's got to be something right?

Misdawn Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 13

I'm sorry...I don't know, but I'll bump you back up so this stays on the main page a little longer. Maybe someone else will know.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #11 of 13

i don't know how to "unsticky" them, but whenever i make them i just put them in tupperware to store them. they haven't gotten sticky on me yet.

cyndy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyndy40 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:09am
post #12 of 13

I am very interested in these tiles that have been mentioned. Any direction as to a post on how these are made and of what they are made?

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndy40

I am very interested in these tiles that have been mentioned. Any direction as to a post on how these are made and of what they are made?

try here. there's been a couple threads about this, but this has a basic recipe and some instruction. hth...
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633975&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%