Do You Recommend This?

Decorating By yummycupcakes Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm by yummycupcakes

yummycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummycupcakes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a 6" square topper cake. I already have an 8" square pan. Can I bake the cakes in the 8" pan, then slice it to make it 6"? Would it be okay - or will the cake have too much crumbs and make it hard to work with? I am considering buying the 6" square Fat Daddio pan- my cart is ready for purchase, but I want to see if I can save some money buy using the 8" pan.

Thanks for all your help!

6 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 7

I've done it before. Chill well after crumb-coating.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 7

Oh yeah. Chill it and you should have no problem.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 7

Personally I would get the 6" pan. What you would save on the pan you would make up for in aggrevation trying to cut two 6" squares evenly, exactly the same size, and fighting the crumbs, not to mention all the cake you would waste.

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 7

If you think you're gonna get more use out of the 6'' pan than just this one time, only makes sense to buy it now and save the trouble. If you're not going to be using it much, then I'd just cut down the 8'', I've done it myself with no problems. Like others have said, just make sure its chilled well.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 7

Buy it, you will need it in the future, I have to admit that I have a lot of cake stuff I have never used, but what a joy it is to be able to go into a drawer and get just the right tool for a cake you never made before, and didn't know you would need any special or different tool than usual. I love each and every one of my cake toys.

yummycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummycupcakes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your input! So far this is the only 6" square cake i'll be doing, so I think i'm going to do a practice run with the 8" and see how that turns out. If it gives me too much trouble i'll buy the pan. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%