Pineapple Filling For Wedding Cake

Decorating By qubanqtee Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm by mbt4955

qubanqtee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qubanqtee Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 10

I have a wedding cake due in July, I am making pina colda cake with crushed pineapple filling, how long will the crushed pineapple keep before it turns brown or goes bad? I want to put the crushed pineapple as a filling. Should I put a layer of BC to prevent the cake from getting mushy? I haven't worked with this before and am afraid of making someone sick....any suggestions from all of your talented CC'ers out there?

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 10

I use the sleeved pineapple filling. Tastes good and has a good shelf life. I'll conceed it wont' taste the same as fresh pineapple, but get a sleeve and taste it.

But it will hold up fine.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 10

I use the sleeve filling also. You can add some VERY WELL DRAINED crushed pineapple to the sleeve filling. It will hold up for a couple of days.

qubanqtee Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 10

thank you, I'm going to get a sleeve and give it a try

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 10

Keep your options open and have pineapple curd scratch ingredients on hand. I bought some pineapple filling in the sleeve and threw it out because it tasted so bad. Just sweet and none of that perky fresh pineapple taste. You couldn't even tell it was pineapple. The coconut sleeve filling was okay but not great.

qubanqtee Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 10

okay at the risk of sounding stupid, what the heck is curd scratch ingredients? is there a recipe you suggest?

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 10

I use sleeved pineapple filling and it tastes just fine to me.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 10

Instead of sleeve fillings like lemon, lime, pineapple I make curds - it a cooked filling It is used for tart fillings, pies and cakes.

You whisk together egg yolks and sugar Add fruit juice and zest to egg mixture bring to a simmer. Whisk until thickened, approximately 8 minutes, or until mixture is light yellow and coats the back of a spoon. Remove promptly from heat and stir in butter a piece at a time.

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 10

I did a pina colada cake two weeks ago. I got totally rave revues. I made the pineapple filling by taking a can of crushed pineapple in heavy syrup (the standard 14 oz siize- I think it's 14), I cooked it down with about 1/4 c. water mixed with cornstarch until it was thck and bubbly. Then I added a bit of lemon juice (teaspoon or so). Remove from heat and immediately added about 1/4 c. of bacardi. The residual heat will cook out the alcohol. Stir until not steaming any more. Added a teaspoon or so of coconut extract. I then made a stabilized whipped cream and folded the pineapple mixture in and added about 1/2 cup of dessicated coconut (use dessicated, it's a better texture than the other). Filling held up was firm and really tasted like a pina colada..used with WASC cake.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 10

I have a jar of pineapple preserves and a package of pineapple jello just waiting to be used in a cake ... heat the preserves and stir in the dry jello until it dissolves. I did a cake yesterday using raspberry. It was a test getting ready for an outdoor July 25 wedding. My cake sat outside in 100 heat for almost two hours. The buttercream (Indydebi's) was soft, but okay and the filling and MMF were perfectly fine. We are eating on it today at work. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%