2 Questions - 1 About Creaming & 1 About Even Thickness

Baking By FlourPots Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm by FlourPots

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 5

How long should you cream your butter & sugar? My recipe doesn't say.

Also, what are those two sticks that people roll their dough in-between to get an even thickness? It's more difficult than I thought when trying to do it by eye.

4 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 5

A lot of people say not to cream it too much, but I cream the heck out of it! Until it's light and fluffy, I'd guess about 3-5 minutes (starting with butter at room temp), but I've never timed it.

I have some plastic "sticks" - I'm not sure what they are called. I know you can use wooded dowels, though, and get teh same effect (bought at craft store or hardware store).

hope that helps!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 5

I was taught to cream until pale and a small amount rubbed between fingers doesn't feel gritty (ie, the sugar is fully incorporated)

sticks are thin pieces of wood or plastic or metal. different thickness.

can make your own if know how to do woodworking. just buy molding (1/2" wide, flat) and then send through a planer until have thickness you want (1/8", 1/4", etc.) and finish w/ food grade polyurethane.

they're also available online. example http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=625575

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 5

I just use molding strips from Home Depot to roll my dough. I have them in 3/8 and 1/2 inch thickness. VERY cheap! And since I only roll between parchment, and the sticks are in there as well, I don't have to wash them that often. I place these guide sticks outside of the dough, and the dough doesn't really touch them either!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much icon_smile.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%