Can I Re-Freeze?

Decorating By jaybug Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm by tiggy2

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 5

My niece asked me to make a cake for her daughter's b-day for Saturday. This morning she asked me to change it to Monday. I took the cake out of the freezer last night so it is already thawed. Has anyone ever refroze one? Will it still be good if I do this?

4 replies
jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 5

Bump

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 5

Trouble is with refreezing, you are forming and reforming ice crystals in the cake itself which can have an effect on the texture and freshness. If you are planning on a nice thick coat of BC or fondant - and put it on today - it might keep til monday - but hopefully someone else will chime in.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 5

I have never tried to refreeze a cake. Something comes to mid though, you know when you take something (other than cake) out of the freezer, you generally do not put it back; like make it or toss it kind of a deal.

Although, cake may be different. If it is wrapped tightly, I would say try it...then again it is up to you. I would love to know what everyone else thinks.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 5

I'd tell her I already have it baked and she can hold it till Monday if she wants.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%