Will This Work?!

Baking By percussiongrrl Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm by deedee4420

percussiongrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
percussiongrrl Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #1 of 7

My husband and I got married in October...very small wedding, only about 20 people were there. We're having an open house celebration in a week and a half for all our friends and family who couldn't be there....cake, punch, cookies, etc. I can't do my own cake b/c my husband's grandmother has done the cake for every grandchild and is doing ours. So I want to do cookies for the open house and here is my thought:

I'd like to do "H" (Our last initial) shaped cookies, iced, with our wedding date piped across the center of the "H".

I have used Wilton's roll out cookie recipe in the past and I've been unhappy with it, so I was going to try the NFSC recipe from CC. How idiot proof is it? Will I be ok to use it for this?

I'd also like to use Rolled BC as icing. I've used fondant before but it tastes nasty (even MMF isn't that good!). Again, this is a new deal for me...any suggestions?

I'm planning on doing a test batch this weekend before making the actual cookies in the middle of next week. Does all this sound ok? Do you think this is appropriate? Also, based on my skill level (there are pictures of my work on my profile), do you think I'll be ok? I'm still a beginner!

Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate any help!

6 replies
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:56am
post #2 of 7

Many decorators here use the NFSC recipe.
I recently tried out the RBC and found it very greasy no matter how much conf sugar i added to dry it out. It's a nice consistency, i must say, but when rolled out and put onto the cookie, it looked disgusting with the grease shining and showing up with a swipe of the finger.
Someone here recommended using 1/3 RBC and 2/3 MMF but i have not tried that yet.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 7

I use a recipe incredibly similar to NFSC, and have never had a problem working with it. It's easy to work with, and the cookies spread very little which is important for decorating. I can't say it's my favorite tasting cookie (I'm partial to chocolate chip) but I have relatives who can't seem to get enough of them.

I've never used RBC, as I prefer using a cookie glace, so I can't help you much with that question. I'm sure you'll do fine with whatever you decide. I think it's very smart to do a test batch, so you know what you're walking into! Good luck!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 7

I, too, use a recipe that is very similar to the NFSC recipe here on CC. I've never had a problem with it, and everyone comments on how good the cookies taste (I do add additional flavoring - either vanilla, lemon, or almond, depending on who the cookies are going to). You should definitely be OK using this recipe!

I use royal icing to decorate my cookies, so I can't help with your RBC questions either... sorry!

oh - and welcome to CC and congratulations on you marriage!

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 7

The Wilton roll-out cookie recipe is basically a half-batch of NFSC - if you don't like the Wilton, you probably won't like NFSC. You might want to search the recipe section for some alternatives.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 7

I use Wilton's recipe, with unsalted butter and real vanilla. It tastes really good that way. I also use marshmallow fondant with a dram of Lorann Butter Rum flavoring for the frosting.

If you've never made the wilton recipe with real butter, give it a try before you search for another recipe.

deedee4420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee4420 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 7

I have used the NFSC and found it OK but I like the sugar cookie recipe from www.karenscookies.net better. The dough is very easy to work with, they are great tasting and do not spread when baked.

Take a look at the recipe and see what you think. I also use MMF with flavorings for the cookies and they look and taste great, RBC is too greasy for my taste and as previously stated looks too shiny and greasy on the cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%