Using Melted Chocolate To Do Decorative Swirls?

Decorating By mom3 Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 2:41am by djs328

mom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom3 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:00am
post #1 of 7

Has anyone ever used simple melted chocolate (Ghiradelli milk chocolate) and decorated maybe swirls or something other than drizzle? Please help. I'm trying it in the kitchen now and I know that the temperature of the chocolate is very important I'm just concerned about it not becoming hard.
Wedding cake this weekend.Please respond with any advice.
Thanks

6 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:58am
post #2 of 7

the easiest way to do this would be to use confectioners coating. So that you don't have to temper it.

mom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom3 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #3 of 7

thank you for responding. I am being a chicken and am going to use just chocolate buttercream. More trouble but I'm afraid the heat here will keep the chocolate too soft.
Thanks again for your response.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 7

Did it on several of my cakes - I decorate with chocolate (melted wafers) ALL the time...most of my cake decos are chocolate. Did the white swirls on this one in chocolate. The thing I like about it is when it does harden, if you mess up it comes right off and you can start that part again! icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1330306

Good luck!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:08am
post #5 of 7

As someone else mentioned, confectioner's coating/candy melts are your best bet. Real chocolate needs to be tempered in order to set properly and while it's easy once you know what you are doing, learning to temper is not that simple.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:15am
post #6 of 7

So does eveyone use candy melts for swirls? Is that usually what people use anyways, I though it was either royal icing or buttercream? Can anyone suggest anything other than candy melts? Thanks.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:41am
post #7 of 7

My best guess is that most people do RI or BC when decorating...when I tell people I decorate in chocolate I usually get the, "Really??" look - like it's something totally out of the norm...I could be wrong, but that's just been my experience...
I ice a lot of my cakes with whipped cream and that just doesn't lend itself well to swirls and details like that, so I opt for the chocolate instead of making a whole batch of buttercream just for decos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%