Stevie Famulari New Challenge

Decorating By Rylan Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm by summernoelle

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 43

I have spoken to Stevie Famulari and she mentioned that she has new challenge that will air soon. I'm so excited for this! GO STEVIE GO!

EDITED TO CLARIFY: She has a NEW challenge NEWER than the Kerry Vincent birthday challenge that aired last Sunday.

42 replies
chefbetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbetty Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 43

Well the challenge aired on Sunday. She bombed big time. She had such a melt down that they thought she would walk out and she nearly burned the studio down with her alcohol soaked cake after she lit it.

Chef Betty icon_confused.gif

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 43

Wasnt she on last sundays food network cake challenge? The one with the messy kitchen?

It was a birthday cake challenge for Kerry Vincent.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 43

To be blunt She Sucked!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 43

I for one would not have her do a cake for me after the disaster she made on the show the other day. The kitchen alone was enough for me to say NEVER EVER!!!!

GeminiCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiCake Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

To be blunt She Sucked!

I agree. Who would want a cake from someone with a nasty work space? It was just GROSS!!!!!!

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 43

For anyone who may have missed it - it airs again tonite at 6pm (CST).

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 43

I don't understand her style. Is she trying to say something with her work?

(Yes we all have our opinions and are entitled to them though we should avoid bashing someone with them)

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 43

Yeah, a short video clip of her cake ended up on cakewrecks.blogspot.com... Sad, because I'm sure she does lovely cakes otherwise, and she just buckled under the time crunch, and HELLO, KERRY VINCENT?!?!? I think I'd melt into a pile of quivering goo at the thought of trying to make a cake for her... Oof...

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 43

All I can say about this Stevie person is that I really hope the cakes she sells are done a little more carefully then that pile of cake and frosting she was putting together on the challenge.

Could you ever imagine eating that mess? icon_eek.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #11 of 43

After looking at her website, I've come to the conclusion that this is another "Food VS Art" conundrum... Is the main point to be able to eat it, or to have a certain look? I don't understand her style either, but whatever. Apparently she has a clientele that she DOES appeal to, so that's fine with me!

Rylan Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 43

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO She has a NEW Challenge. A NEW ONE.

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

Yeah, a short video clip of her cake ended up on cakewrecks.blogspot.com... Sad, because I'm sure she does lovely cakes otherwise, and she just buckled under the time crunch, and HELLO, KERRY VINCENT?!?!? I think I'd melt into a pile of quivering goo at the thought of trying to make a cake for her... Oof...

Apparently you haven't been to her website...http://steviefamulari.net... Check it out, but don't say you weren't warned. To me she's like watching a spider in a jar...fascinating, creepy and kinda makes me sick to my stomach (I HATE spiders! Can ya tell!) icon_rolleyes.gif Anyway, watching her is that way so I understand why the Food Network keeps calling her back. But I sure don't understand why anyone would want the finished product! It doesn't look like it would TASTE good!! And it SHOULD, it's CAKE!!!! If it were a painting or sculpture or something, then maybe I could get it! BUT IT'S A CAKE! How could you want to eat the mooshed up mess she had on the KV birthday cake show?

RylanTy, can you enlighten me on WHY you like her finished work? Is it because you personally know her? Please don't take this as a slam or anything, it's not meant to be...I really just don't GET it.

Trying to keep an open mind. icon_lol.gif

Gail

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #14 of 43

Okay, so on her website she says that she designed the bridge for that earlier challenge she did to fall on purpose. That's a load of hooey because she stated 3/4 of the way through that she "thinks" it's gonna end up falling. I think it shows a lack of integrity when an artist or decorator tries to pawn something off as intentional and they know it was a disaster.

I was amazed at how nasty her workspace was. It's okay if you're an artist because no one is gonna eat that stuff- be as messy as you want. But honestly, what if by some stroke of cosmic chaos, Kerry did select her cake...who in Hades would want to eat that knowing the kitchen it came out of?

I'm also stumped as to how she figures "powdered sugar and water= royal icing"? Jason said it best, "She's on acid".

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:50pm
post #15 of 43

A new challenge, I can only say that the challenge she should work on is keeping her workspace reasonably clean. Now I can make one grand mess while decorating a cake, but with the sink full of hot soapy water, I can wash up what ever needs it as I go along, and spilling on the floor, it gets cleaned up, I can't imagine how she can work in an area that looked like hers did on the KV birthday challenge. As for the finished product, I would never want to admit I made something that looked like that. I checked her web site, and no her "art" is not my cup of tea, how fortunate she is that she has a client following, I can't imagine where she found them tho.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #16 of 43

The new challenge must be Cereal Bridges 2.
The picture on her website looks interesting. A 'perspective piece.'

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #17 of 43

No, they already did that one. That's the one where she "claims" her bridge was created to fall... yeah right.

tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I don't understand her style. Is she trying to say something with her work?

(Yes we all have our opinions and are entitled to them though we should avoid bashing someone with them)

Evidently freedom of speech has been banned. Have a good evening.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:55pm
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Evidently freedom of speech has been banned. Have a good evening.[/quote]

And evidently that has been the case here of late on CC with all the deleted and locked threads.

7yyrt Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #20 of 43

This is not a new policy, kindly note the date. -
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-117741.html
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:41 am
Quote: If you would like to talk trash about a TV show, or another person, take it elsewhere. Those conversations and comments are not welcome here.
There are million... actually BILLIONS of other places on the internet where you are free to trash celebrities, TV shows and other people, just don't bring it to CakeCentral.com :Unquote

Rylan Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:02am
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailsgoodies

RylanTy, can you enlighten me on WHY you like her finished work? Is it because you personally know her? Please don't take this as a slam or anything, it's not meant to be...I really just don't GET it.

Trying to keep an open mind. icon_lol.gif

Gail

Honestly, I did like her cake a lot. It isn't the best but I like the overall look despite the messy kitchen. It actually reminds me of a castle made of chocolate, hidden in an underground cave in an enchanted forest. Sure, she did have some type of attitude but we are talking about her work. In her website, she created something that she called "coco". In another thread, people said it was hideous. I mean how many people can even sculpt like that? I honestly think it was beautiful. It actually looks like an ancient broken relic that was dug underground after many years of presevation. It looked really earthy and I wouldn't change a thing.

It really annoys me when people say that she is "unartistic" and doesn't deserve to be in the challenge. I don't think anyone has the right to judge her just because they think that their taste is far more superior than hers. She is truly an artist, no doubt. She just have a different taste and style. There are people out there who like abstract art and there are people who don't, there are people who like french country design and there are people who don't. Her style is just different and it doesn't appeal most people but there are some who does (Obviously she has clients -- check her site).

I'd actually pick her cake rather than a tacky looking sheet cake (not that I don't like sheet cakes because some are beautiful).

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #22 of 43

I just watched the replay of this challenge and all I can say is...WOW!! I understand artistic expression is subjective, but WOW! I don't think cake is a good medium for her. And yes, I too have a problem with the disorganized (for lack of a better word) work space. Yikes!

I'd like to see some of her other pieces before I make any judgment, but I thought her website was a little tough to navigate.

Art is in the eye of the beholder.

Deb_ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:10am
post #23 of 43

Well since RylanTy brought up the "coco" sculpture...........I just looked at it........I'm a woman in my mid forties and I'm a little embarrassed to ask..........but...............what are the red jelly bean things supposed to represent? icon_redface.gif I'm pretty sure I don't have those........do I? icon_confused.gif

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #24 of 43

Ok, then I'll lie, her creation was beautiful. Everyone should have something like that in their portfolio and all kitchens should look like hers

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:24am
post #25 of 43

I think my biggest issue with the challemge was the lack of attention to the client's wishes. If the challenge was make a cake that expresses your own artistic vision, then fine. But that wasn't what this was about.

Can't wait to see the next one! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #26 of 43

Maybe it's an artistic representation of your "goodies" hee hee hee!

I think they're jelly beans. Get it? Goodies? Yeah...

I like her work, if you take the time to read her bio and her ideas on her website it's actually pretty interesting. She's NOT a cake decorator, so putting her on these challenges is clearly something done by the Food Network to mess with people, us included. It looks like a lot of her stuff is based on food because food is transitory, and her environmental art talks about how the environment changes with human interaction. Putting food into a natural environment changes it, then it will change again with time when the food goes away...Make sense? It does to me, but maybe I'm just bent that way!

If you think about it, she's just doing what a lot of cake decorators are doing...Making "art" that will disappear after people get to it, ha ha ha!

The Food Network has found a gem with her, I haven't seen so much discussion about a challenge in a loooong time! And you have to admit that her work provokes strong reactions! Like it or not, you remember it icon_lol.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:51am
post #27 of 43

I watched that Kerry Vincent Birthday challenge, and I think Stevie's ORIGINAL cake concept would have been interesting and beautiful had she been able to do it. Unfortunately she couldn't accomplish it.

In any case, I don't care for her work or her attitude. Kerry was right when she told Stevie that the cake was all about Stevie and nothing about Kerry. Oh my goodness, I cannot imagine having a FOOD workspace that disorganized and messy. In my opinion, she would be better off making non-edible art.

I am not bashing her. Art is art...and is very subjective.

I do think people will watch her on any challenge just to see what she does next. Kinda like a train wreck...

Rylan Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Well since RylanTy brought up the "coco" sculpture...........I just looked at it........I'm a woman in my mid forties and I'm a little embarrassed to ask..........but...............what are the red jelly bean things supposed to represent? icon_redface.gif I'm pretty sure I don't have those........do I? icon_confused.gif

In an artistic point of view, I assume those represent the seeds of life. Anyone who can bear a child has atleast one of those.

7yyrt Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:12am
post #29 of 43

I thought it was supposed to be 'that time of the month'. Image

Deb_ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I thought it was supposed to be 'that time of the month'. Image

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm pretty sure our "seeds" don't hang out in that area icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%