9X13 Baby Shower Cake Help Please

Decorating By kellertur Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 2:12am by all4cake

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 17

Could anyone please give ideas as to what to make for a:

9X13 (gender unknown) baby shower cake? All buttercream.

I am trying to do something besides quilts or piped baby blocks, although those ideas are cute too.

These flat cakes are killing me... icon_confused.gif

Thank you.

16 replies
kellertur Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 17

Anyone... icon_confused.gif ((( please ))) icon_smile.gif

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 17

How about a FBCT? You could do jungle animals, winnie the pooh, I'm doing one for next weekend where I am doing a baby carriage out of fondant for on top of the 9 x 13. I have seen several of the baby jungle ones on here and they are all very cute. You could also do a fondant cut-out of a pregnant lady (the kind with the umbrella, or the shopping bag)
Lori

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 17

Maybe a stork with baby bundle in his beak (in a yellow or light green blanket). The message could say something like, "Girl or boy...it's a bundle of joy."

Or the stork could have on a mailman type of hat and it could say, "Special Delivery."

Just a couple of quick ideas. Good luck. I'm sure you'll think of something great.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 17

Head over to the gallery. There is a section for Baby Shower cakes. You're sure to finds tons of inspiration! They might not all be 9 x13 's but youcan pull some ideas that will work.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 17

Maybe you could make it look like a baby shower gift. Pastel colors a big sheer bow on top with maybe a rattle or some baby coming out of the bow or sitting on the cake.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm
post #7 of 17

or how about a fondant baby sleeping under a fondant blanket on clouds?

kellertur Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:41am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by online_annie

Head over to the gallery. There is a section for Baby Shower cakes. You're sure to finds tons of inspiration! They might not all be 9 x13 's but youcan pull some ideas that will work.

Thanks. These are all great ideas. I actually was in the gallery for an hour before posting this... I wish there were a way to filter out the sheet cakes. I just don't have time to look through all the pictures.

About Winny the Pooh - I should have mentioned I'm being paid for this cake. I'd need copyright permission, I believe. icon_confused.gif

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 17

I just went to your photos and saw your Peas in a Pod cake. I think that's cute and, with a little tweaking, could work on a 9x13. You could make the baby/pea pod for the center a little larger and have vines coming off of it. Then the green dots around it and a nice border. It'd be cute I bet.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 17

I've had this in my faves forever!! http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=23245

Also there are alot of cute onesie sheet cakes.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm
post #11 of 17

Is there a theme?

kellertur Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 17

No theme, they are keeping things neutral from what I understand since they don't know the gender. The woman who called to order had no idea what she wanted and (for some reason) was afraid she might offend me if she gave ideas "since I'm the artist". Once I reassured her, she said anything cute would work.

The baby on the moon cake is cute. icon_smile.gif

I've decided I want to use lots of color... whatever I do.

all4cake Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 17

I found this one while searching for "baby shower sheet cakes"....colorful...subtle though...and CUTE

http://www.rheinlanderbakery.com/graphics/ItemGraphicA360.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm
post #14 of 17

Oooh I like that one all4cake!

kellertur Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #15 of 17

That's cute. What is that border? I've never seen a shell like that before...

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #16 of 17

i,ve made them where, i make the baby with fondant and gumpaste mixed.. baby alseep on its side.. blanket over the baby.. make a bib .. then made the baby shoes with the jem bootie cutters.. i used blue, yellow and green colors.. i had yellow roses , either of gumpaste or buttercream close to baby.. it is not in my photos. i have done this several times. with different colors. hth... i use to make the baby up on its knees with the fondant and g/p mix.. then pipe a blanket on saran wrap. lay this over baby.. pipe baby booties.. rattle and bracelet.. write baby on the bracelet.. i used green, yellow and blue. and pink.. if they didn,t know gender.. then piped roses down beside blanket on each side. and of course finish it with borders... this alway went over great..

all4cake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:12am
post #17 of 17

Looks like a basic shell border with them slightly further apart with elongated tails...just drag out the tail a bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%