Help With Shipping Advice And Tips For Cake Urgently Needed

Decorating By sparklynne Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 2:30am by sparklynne

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 8

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area icon_redface.gif
I have a party that needs a cake shipped for a special sweet 16 birthday. I am located in Washington State and the cake needs to be shipped to Kentucky. The cake is a fondant covered cake and a relatively small cake. It is a 3 tier cake and I am needing some urgent directions from someone who has shipped tier cakes long distances before. Like who they recommend to go through for shipping and how to pack the cake etc. If there is someone out there that could lend some support and some of their valuable time to explain some of this to me I would be ever so grateful! icon_smile.gif Thank you so much for you time.
Sincerely

7 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 8

here is a bump for you. I am interested in how to pack and what packing materials are needed right on the cake it's self.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 8

Please read this post before you try to ship any cake!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-626570.html

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 8

I've never shipped, but I remember a post in the disasters forum a few weeks ago. The cake was shipped via fedex (but ups and usps use the same mechanical package handling systems). When the cake was delivered, it was destroyed.

Apparently, the only safe way to ship a cake is by white glove counter to counter service through a few of the legacy airlines (Delta, Continental, American, United, US Air, Northwest), or by purchasing two seats, one for you and one for the cake.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but really, shipping cakes isn't a feasible option, it seems.

Sorry icon_sad.gif

Edited to add: LOL SugarFrosted - that's the post I was referring to. Great minds think alike!

sparklynne Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 8

Ok.. that was terrible! Yeah... not wanting to go through all that.icon_sad.gif What's the carry on policy at the airports now? lol.. icon_biggrin.gif Maybe I have to look at this a little different and white glove the thing there myself. .. I don't know.. not really wanting to see Kentucky in October lol.. no offense to those residents. hmm.. My mind is working overtime. Thank you for all the information though.. that is definitely food for thought.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 8

I read on another forum or blog about a cake decorator who DID take it with her on the plane (on her lap) and it did fine, up until it had to go through the x-ray machine like other hand luggage. That was when the 'rock apes' decided to throw it in sideways.

Arrrgh!!! This is the stuff of nightmares.

I did make a cake for a friend in another country for her wedding - I am in Australia, she got married in New Zealand. I had the fruit cake made at home, then packed all my decorators gear (including fondant) with me and decorated it the night before the wedding. Several weeks before the wedding I had hand-made the topper out of Sculpey - so that just sat on the top of the finished (one tier!) cake icon_smile.gif It was still all very nerve-wracking though.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:10am
post #7 of 8

Well, you can take a decorated cake thru airport security, but you really have to be certain that the boxed cake will not only fit thru the TSA scanner, but in the overhead bin--most are only 11-12 INCHES in height--or under the seat in front of you (even smaller)--UNLESS you're willing to buy the cake its own seat.

If you buy the cake a seat, it can be hand inspected by the TSA, IF they agree to it. If they don't, they'll do whatever they have to in order to get it thru the belt scanner.

Colette Peters and some other decorators will "ship" cakes, but it's done thru special cargo services by select airlines, it costs a fortune, and there still can be problems because the cake goes into the cargo hold of the plane.

Good luck. I'd just plan to take all of the stuff to KY and make the cake there.......
Rae

sparklynne Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #8 of 8

Thank you.. yes I thought about getting it through xray machine.. That is going to be interesting. I should call a friend that works for the airlines and ask the dimensions of the machine lol.. to make sure that my boxes get through. Thank you for all the words of advice and wisdom here. This is nerve racking trying to figure this all out. At least I have a little time to finesse the details.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%