Fighting With My Everclear Today... What Is Up??

Decorating By Carolynlovescake Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 7:48am by Cake4ever

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 2

It's 76 degrees out, humidity at 53%.

I've got the windows open.

For some reason when I go to apply it to my gumpaste it just seems like it won't stay wet enough to stick and in about 4 seconds it's starting to become dry already and then pamper it along and hold my petals in place about four times longer for them to stick to the rest of the flower.

I don't think I've ever had it been this extreme before anyone else have this happen to them?

1 reply
Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:48am
post #2 of 2

Everclear is not ideal for glueing because it evaporates and is best for painting with luster dusts or painting with paste food color. I would recommend that you make a glue from either your gumpaste or a bit of tylose with boiled and cooled water.

For the gumpaste glue, just take about 1/2 inch piece of gumpaste and add water, like 2 tsp. until you can stir it and dissolve it down into a glue consistency. Just use a clean paintbrush to apply.

For the tylose, just add a tiny pinch 1/8th tsp. to 1/4 cup boiled/cooled water and let it dissolve and then set up. I use this for my glue on all my gumpaste projects. It dries very strong. I have a nailbrush bottle that I bought from my cake shop and made the tylose recipe in it, although instead of water, I use rose water. It gives off a light rose scent on my gumpaste roses that I like. You never know when someone wants to sniff it. LOL.

My instructor just uses water and a paintbrush. Again, the water is boiled and cooled.

Hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%