Homemade Or Cake Mix?

Decorating By jrod1974 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 3:10am by snshin1993

jrod1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrod1974 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 24

hi Ladies, curious what you are using to make your cakes....scratch or from a mix? I have done both...will be doing a wedding cake for the 1st time, just a little nervous. Wondering if i should just go with the mix? and suggestions?

23 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:38am
post #2 of 24

Hi. I'm an exclusive scratch baker....just my personal preference icon_smile.gif

LittleLadyBabyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLadyBabyCakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #3 of 24

I feel like it depends on where you are...what you're doing...
Like, my friends, who have never ever had a professional, made from scratch, custom cake could care less if it is from the box or made from scratch...I almost feel like a perfectly executed recipe would be wasted on them icon_smile.gif
However, my friends that bake and get excited about a new recipe can smell a box cake a mile away... and, i wouldn't dare make a box cake for them! Just my thoughts. there is certainly a time and a place for a box cakeicon_smile.gif LOL!

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 24

I use doctored cake mixes. I want to go to scratch, but haven't figured out cost.

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:43am
post #5 of 24

When I'm baking for a special occasion, I usually try to bake from scratch. But since I started decorating recently and was taking the Wilton classes, I thought it was too much work to do scratch cakes for the classes, and have been using mixes- even after 3 months of class, everyone at work doesn't believe me when I tell them it's a mix. So I'm thinking I might just stick to mixes from now on, if they can't even tell the diff! icon_smile.gif

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #6 of 24

I use DH mixes. I doctor them up a little and usually have a sleeve filling, but everyone loves the taste of my cakes. I say why change a good thing.

sweetsadiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsadiecakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #7 of 24

I absolutely agree about DH mix. Nobody believes me when I tell them it was a doctored box mix and they love it. I want to give people a great tasting cake, but honestly, baking the cake is not my favorite part of the process. I would rather spend my time decorating the cake.

Lita829 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:10am
post #8 of 24

See...I'm the opposite of Sweetsadiecakes. I am a much better baker than decorator (not to toot my own horn). I've been decorating on and off since I was 12 but many of the advanced techniques like working with fondant and gumpaste, creating flowers from these materials, and just engaging in the whole creative process I just recently got serious about. I still have a lot to learn about cake and cookie decorating.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:21am
post #9 of 24

Everyone, please be very careful with this thread! Scratch vs box can get very ugly!

icon_sad.gif

I bake strictly from scratch ONLY because my box mixes NEVER seem to turn out! Mind me asking what you all mean by "doctored mixes"?! Maybe I could try that. Just not sure what you mean. Do you add extra stuff, take some out...what exactly? Thanks for the info and probably dumb question! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetsadiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsadiecakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:22am
post #10 of 24

Darlita,
We would make a great team. You bake and I'll decorate!

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:32am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

bake strictly from scratch ONLY because my box mixes NEVER seem to turn out! Mind me asking what you all mean by "doctored mixes"?! Maybe I could try that. Just not sure what you mean. Do you add extra stuff, take some out...what exactly? Thanks for the info and probably dumb question!

I bake from Betty Crocker cake mix. I doctor it with a little pudding, whole milk and vanilla unless it is chocolate. I try to match the pudding to whichever mix I'm making and I whip it for 15min.

I am always geting compliments on my cakes and noone believes me when I tell them it's a box mix.

My kudos to thos e who can make a good scratch cake...not something I have been able to master.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:04am
post #12 of 24

Hmmm, something for me to try. Thanks Melchas!

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:36am
post #13 of 24

I use DH and add some extras as well. I also include a box of pudding, vanilla, meringue, milk instead of water. Oh, and I know this sounds gross, but if I'm making a chocolate cake, I add a tbsp of mayo.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:20am
post #14 of 24

I use moist cake mixes. either DH or BC. which ever is cheaper or I have coupon for. BUT, I think the reason everyone raves about them is because if/ when they make/ eat a cake they know is from a box, they use ONE mix. its then put in a 9X13 and baked. Its baked at 350 and is thin.

Mine is 3 mixes baked in a 11X15 (I think) or 2 to 2 1/2 mixes om a 9X13, baked at 315-325. I guess that makes a very large differnce.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:24am
post #15 of 24

I've been baking from scratch in years and discovered doctored mixes. Do what you are more comfortable with.

Cara, the WASC recipe starting with a box mix I belive is what doctored mix is.

Lita829 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:26pm
post #16 of 24

Sweetsadiecakes...right back at 'ya icon_wink.gif .

Umgrzfn was right....this debate can get ugly. I don't think it has to, though. There have been other threads about this very same topic. Each to his/her own. Do what works for you and what you enjoy icon_smile.gif As I had said in one of the other sratch-vs-mix threads...each person has their own methods in the kitchen that work for them.

Whatever floats your boat...ya know icon_wink.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:39pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by umgrzfn

I bake strictly from scratch ONLY because my box mixes NEVER seem to turn out! Mind me asking what you all mean by "doctored mixes"?! Maybe I could try that. Just not sure what you mean. Do you add extra stuff, take some out...what exactly? Thanks for the info and probably dumb question! icon_biggrin.gif

Exactly as pp said - WASC is an example of a doctored mix...check out this list from a thread a while back with TONS of doctored mix recipes. Macsmom is responsible for a good portion of them, I believe...have fun with it!

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

I think the thread is a sticky in one of the forums...look for "Gourmet Flavors"

HTH!!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:48pm
post #18 of 24
mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #19 of 24

I just baked my first successful doctored WASC a couple of weeks ago and will NEVER bake anything else again! icon_smile.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #20 of 24

I try to always do Scratch cakes, but the WASC cake is really good and easy. It's kind of like the best of both worlds! I've never tried Choc. WASC though, I always do scratch chocolate. It is my number 1 most requested!

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:58am
post #21 of 24

I always try to bake from scratch but when in a time jam, then I use a DH mix with pudding in the mix, with some almond and vanilla flavoring added and a little extra water or milk. I try to be very careful when I bake box mixes because they have a tendency to come out dry, especially the chocolate ones. I think it just whatever you perfer. My daughters like my scratch cakes better than the box mixes though and can always taste the difference.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:05am
post #22 of 24

Have been using the WASC as the base for the doctored cake
then creating all kinds of flavors by substituting out the ingredients with different flavors to creat all types of flavor combinations.
you can create any flavored cake you want or imagine

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:08am
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistiek2006

I try to be very careful when I bake box mixes because they have a tendency to come out dry, especially the chocolate ones.

you could throw in a little sour cream to help that icon_smile.gif

snshin1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snshin1993 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:10am
post #24 of 24

I always use doctored cake mix. I have a cook book called cake mix doctor and it has great recipies for every kind of cake. Everybody loves the taste of the cake and it is easier for me with less stress with a scratch cake. I still do angelfood cake from scratch but everything else is by the box with a little love.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%