Florida Home Based Cake Decorater Got Licensed??

Business By katherinem Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm by costumeczar

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 2

Okay I saw this post on another website where he basically said he rec'd the same info I iniitally rec'd - I'm in Central Florida.
They said you can have a home based business but nothing to do with food and somehow he is able to bypass all of this by reading the fine lines?? If that is really true I would have my mother who is a judge go over all the statutes, etc. Anyone else heard of anything like this or is it just a North Florida bypass - he/she's making it seem like it is possible if you go through the statutes with a fine tooth comb.

I am in North Florida and you can have a business out of your home but you have to follow the statues and administrative code for the state of Florida. I am just beginning the process. My first step is upgrading my septic system for the code and having it certified by the health department. Second step is to have my well water certified as an approved source of water. Then I will file a site plan with the department of agriculture which regulates bakeries. Upon approval I will gut and renovate an unused large bedroom into a baking kithcen with its own seperate entrance. All of this will be done under a general contractor who will obtain needed permits. After the construction and the kithchen is setup and done the health department will inspect and hopefully if all is done correctly I can then apply for an occupational license. And somewhere in this time frame form an S corporation and file for Irs taxpayer id and register with the department of revenue for sales tax. Also obtain liability insurance.
I suggest anyone interested in this get their state statues and codes themselves and as painstaking as it is read and highlight as you read. I was originally told by many government agencies that I could not do this but these so called officials I dont think quite frankly want to be bothered explaining all of it. So it is up to you to wade through it and keep pushing. I also advise to try and establish a good rapport with health department ask them what you need to do to make sure you are following their rules. The Department of Business and Professional regulation also regulates hotels and restaurants and depending on how you are setting it up someone may fall under their statue although both DPBR and Dept of Agri. rules and codes fall under administrative codes. There are only slight variances in the regulations between the depatments.
As far as building a client base before doing it? well if you are already doing it with success under the table so to speak with increasing production capability I would also have a marketing plan of some sort. I am legally blind and doing this cant is not in my dictionary and I urge everyone to follow their passion I should have done it many years ago instead of wasting too many years being a nurse. Crazy for cake.

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 2

It sounds like this guy is kidding himself, and you're doing it the right way. He's probably one of the group who says that you don't have to pay income tax because they're "reading between the lines" too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%