Q About Real Flowers!!!

Decorating By swritik Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm by Cakechick123

swritik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swritik Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 7

ok i have a Q,

if you use real flowers like roses, lilly, hydrangea and other flowers what do you use so they dont come in contact with the cake?
And without sticking them inside the cake.

thanx
R icon_smile.gif

6 replies
alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 7

you can buy flower picks that go into the cake so they stems of the flowers are just resting in the picks. .. be careful tho because lilies are poisonous. you might want to google for a list of flowers that are safe or consumption

swritik Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 7

if a lot of flowers are poisonous why do you see a lot of them used on the cake?

merrywood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merrywood Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 7

cheap, easy and pretty.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by swritik

if a lot of flowers are poisonous why do you see a lot of them used on the cake?

Ignorance! Its up to us to be aware of what can be used and what not.

Most people expect the florist to say something about what are toxic, but sadly 90% of the time the florist also doesnt know.

I have seen a cake (a dummy at a show) totally covered in fresh ivy. My 1st thought was they obviously dont know that is called "poison ivy" for a reason!!!!

BTW hydreangeas are also in the poisoneous category

swritik Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 7

wow.

You know now that i think back my wedding cake had real roses and you know what is the bad part the top had a whole in it and the flowers were inside the cake without anything.

this makes me sick.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 7

roses are not toxic BUT you have to be carefull as all flowers are sprayed with pesticides. On the rare occasions that I've used fresh roses I always wash my flowers and arrange them so that they are not touching the cake.

Just imagine getting a piece of cake with some green juic from the stems icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%