Homemade Gumpaste/decorating

Decorating By sister340 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 8:18am by Rylan

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:20am
post #1 of 11

If you make your own gumpaste for adding decor to fondant, will you please tell me your favorite recipe? I am making my first fondant with gumpaste wedding cake this weekend and starting to get nervous about which method to use. I have some tylose I was planning to use in it.
thanks!

10 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:07am
post #2 of 11

People love to use Nick Lodge's recipe. I personally don't use it because it contains eggs.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:16am
post #3 of 11

I use Nick Lodge's recipe. It works really well. Definitely follow the directions though, last time I made it I was on the phone and I didn't reserve the cup of powdered sugar, I just threw it all in, and it turned out much stiffer than the batch I made the week before.

Wilton's gumpaste recipe doesn't have egg whites in it but it doesn't work nearly as well as Nick Lodge's recipe, at least for me.

Satin Ice gumpaste has egg whites too...theirs might be pasteurized, I don't know...but they're in there.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:37am
post #4 of 11

I make the gum paste from the recipe on the back of the Gum Tex by Wilton. If I'm doing something that I really need to dry extra fast and hard, I add a little more gum tex then what it calls for (after I already have it mixed and it has set...etc). It seems to work GREAT. I think it's just personal preference. I've never tried the N. Lodge one. I've also bought the gum paste powder that is in the can (by Wilton) and that worked great too. Hope everything works out for you!

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:43am
post #5 of 11

I've used Kerry Vincent's recipe for years and I love it!

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:37am
post #6 of 11

I just add tylose to my fondant and I use fondant for all of my decorations

sister340 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I'll let you know how it turns out!!
Jackie N.

sister340 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 11

What proportions of tylose to fondant do you think is best?

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #9 of 11

Here's a link to Lorraine McKay making gum paste with tylose, stating the amounts she uses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQtehRE7VQw&feature=channel

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:51am
post #10 of 11

I did a search for Nick Lodges recipe and nothing came up. Could someone please post it??
Thanks!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:18am
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%