Delivering Tiered Cakes: Box Or No Box?

Business By diane706 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 3:40pm by diane706

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:16am
post #1 of 10

I'm curious... which do you do? (especially three or more tiers).

9 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:23am
post #2 of 10

i almost never use a box to deliver.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:26am
post #3 of 10

Box box box box box box box box

icon_biggrin.gif

I was gonna toss a cake in the back of the car & trot it just a few miles--it rained so that the steam poured off the hot roofs--I had to stop everything and make a box!!! To protect it from the humidity.

And it was a good thing 'cause I had never been to that venue and it was difficult to navigate--would have been really a big problem to get it in down the stairs to the door then up the huge winding winding winding staircase.

Boxes are my friend.

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:37am
post #4 of 10

No cake ever leaves my place without a box. Ever.

Cars are gross.... I don't care how clean you think your car is.... it's not. There will always be dirt and fibers and crap flying around in a car, no matter how 'clean'.

It is so unhygienic (not to mention downright gross) to deliver a cake without a box. What the customer decides to do with the cake once it is delivered is their responsibility and I make them aware of the risks(outdoor weddings, etc), but that cake is pristine at the time of delivery.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:01am
post #5 of 10

I build a tall box out of two normal boxes. There are places online you can buy tiered cake boxes too.

But yes I do use boxes.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:53am
post #6 of 10

always use a box!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 10

I use these boxes from Decopoac: http://www.decopac.com/items_8-43.html . They are specifically designed for tiered cakes. I LOVE them. I re-use them all the time for wedding cakes. I think I've had the same big one for 8 months now.

For cakes that the customer is taking, I make my own tall boxes out of two or three boxes and lots of tape!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 10

Nope. Never use a box when I'm moving it myself. Customer pickups, then yeah, I'll put it in a box.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 10

Global Sugar Art sells tiered boxes too. I've never used a box for a tiered cake, so I don't know how they work.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the links guys. Happy baking! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%