Mmmmm! Is That Vanilla Flavored Dog Hair???

Lounge By Tita9499 Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 5:06pm by Annabakescakes

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #1 of 48

Okay, so I had a woman pick up a cake today and when she pulled up in front of my house I noticed a dog (like a irish setter only bigger) in the back seat. She's driving a Volvo sedan so it's not like the "back seat" is that far away from the front seat. I groaned and said, "Great! Bet she'll want to ride with the cake in the front seat!"

So she comes in, oohs and aahs over the cake and I'm trying my darndest to MacGyver a box top to fit over this oddly shaped cake (of which I didn't take pics of, but it's just like the retirement flag cake in my pics). The top was too tall for a standard cake box and I didn't have anything large enough to invert to cover it, but I wasn't about to send the cake to that car uncovered. She said the words I was dreading: "Oh, it's fine, you don't have to cover it!" I told her it would be better, she wouldn't want dust or dirt or you know, YOUR DOG'S COAT, to get onto the cake. She insisted, "Oh, it's fine! Don't worry" So relunctantly I let her take it.

Next thing I know her THREE legged (yes, just 3, the poor thing) dog had jumped out of the car window and walked up to the house. The lady is actually opening my front door and is about to let the dog inside! Most of you know I had to give away my dogs that I'd raised from puppies because my DD is terribly allergic and has asthma. I told her, "Oh no, dogs can't come in, gotta wheezer in the family". So we walk out to her car, DH is carrying the cake for her and he's like, "You want it in the trunk?" because he can't imagine her wanting the cake that close to the dog. She says, "No, you can put it on the floor in front of the passenger seat" AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

I spent the better part of the afternoon wondering what people are going to think of the cake decorator who sprinkles dog hair on her cakes before she gives them to the clients...

47 replies
butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #2 of 48

Hmmm I can imagine the dog taking a lick of the cake...ewwww.

Tita9499 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #3 of 48

And seriously, Juju, how can you expect the dog not be sniffin' all over the cake and sticiking his tongue out of the side of his mouth to taste it? I love animals, but that was a bit too much for me.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:44am
post #4 of 48

That is freaking disgusting. Bravo to you Tita for not snatching that cake out of her little paws and taking it back to it's "safe place". Ugh...what is wrong with people?!?!

Tita9499 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:00am
post #5 of 48

The way I figure it, it's her cake, do with it what you want. They know you have dogs, they know we don't so hopefully they'll do the math. I think she's just that type of person though, her car was trashed, her glasses were flithy (you know your glasses are dirty when someone looking at you can see spots and smudges on them)! Yuck. I'm so glad I have OCD.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 48

Glad I wasn't at the party!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 48

"Sprinkle a cake with dog hair..." BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!! Isn't that how ALL the pros do it?????

jlynnw Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 48

mommyle love the new avitar! I look and see the avitars and it messes me up when they change icon_redface.gif I was like, uhmm, a newbie to the group

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 48

I cant' get over that she was gonna let the dog in your house!!

One of my sisters brings her 2 Yorkies everywhere with her and it drives me crazy.

I'm the type of person who does NOT like dogs in my house........sorry, stone me now icon_surprised.gif

Last time my sister tried to bring her dogs in to my house my husband said to her "how do we cook these?" icon_lol.gif She leaves them home now icon_wink.gif

jlynnw Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

One of my sisters brings her 2 Yorkies everywhere with her and it drives me crazy.

I'm the type of person who does NOT like dogs in my house........sorry, stone me now icon_surprised.gif

Last time my sister tried to bring her dogs in to my house my husband said to her "how do we cook these?" icon_lol.gif She leaves them home now icon_wink.gif

reread - dog in the house icon_confused.gif I don't think so. I will seriously have to remember your DH response on how to cook them! That and when the shop opens - Unattended children will be given a double expresso and a pregnant cat.

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 48

LOl.... I have a sign leaning on one of my cake dummies that reads:

Unattended children will be given a double espresso, a puppy and a one-way ticket to Nowheresville.

Tita9499 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 48

Niiiice

jlynnw Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 48

what does the sign say for them not to touch the displays? I was at a shop in Dallas and they had gorgeous time consumming cakes on display with fingerprints, scratches, dents etc. It was so sad. The cashier had asked the one child not to touch the cakes and the mother walked over and poked it and asked it it was real? I wanted to say "ya, that is someones wedding cake you just ruined and the lady in back will now pull one out her a$$ for the wedding. Which one is your cake for me to touch?"

OK, back to topic. They did not have any dog hair on the displays, will ask for it next time.

Tita9499 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 48

I seriously want to know how that cake showed up at to the party. Of course it would be one that I actually did a great job on the fondant. No tears, no wrinkles, flawless... betcha it looked like crap come time to cut it. I have to send my DH to do some recon.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:02am
post #15 of 48

Thank goodness I was not drinking anything while reading this post or my screen would have been covered! Tita you are hysterical! Jlynnw: a double espresso and a pregnant cat, classic!

I am a crazy dog person, I have 2 giants ones that weigh more than I do but I will be darned if they get near cake! And when I bring cakes in my car, which my dogs have traveled in (and you know no matter how much I vacuum I cant get all the hair) I pack those cakes like I am carrying hazardous materials, lol. I will ask my neighbors if they would like the cupcakes I bring over to be sprinkled with dog hair next time!

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:07am
post #16 of 48

Forgot to add...dkelly, the people who bring their dogs everywhere drive me NUTS. I am obsessed with my dogs, they both sleep in my bed with me (2 labs) but I would never bring my dogs to someones house, even if they were invited!

My uncle lives about 3 hours away and decided to get 2 puppies (retrievers) now he cant leave them home because they have to potty etc...dont you know, he brings them to my house whenever he comes to visit, drives me up a wall!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

reread - dog in the house icon_confused.gif I don't think so. I will seriously have to remember your DH response on how to cook them! That and when the shop opens - Unattended children will be given a double expresso and a pregnant cat.

I seriously cracked up about the pregnant cat!! I think in pictures and the imagery was priceless. I'll have to remember that when i go legal!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:43am
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

I'm trying my darndest to MacGyver a box top to fit over this oddly shaped cake

ROFLMAO icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Tita9499 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:55am
post #19 of 48

I shouldn't have been surprised. She seemed slightly "Magoo-ish" to me, sweet lady, but the type that you'd expect to buy cat food for her to eat when she gets older. I felt bad for the 3-legged puppy though, not bad enough to let him destroy my reputation, but ya know.

DKelly: my step-father is from South Korea and he used to tell me all the time that my dogs would make good soup. I thought he was joking until my mom (who was stationed in Camp Casey) told me they actually breed dogs for consumption.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:52pm
post #20 of 48

Don't worry, the rest of the food will have dog hair and tongue marks all over it, so if the cake gets hair on it, it will fit in just fine.

Tita9499 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #21 of 48

Eeewww!!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #22 of 48

Why didn't you cover it with a loose plastic wrap?

Tita9499 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:03pm
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Why didn't you cover it with a loose plastic wrap?

Didn't think about that to be quite honest.

jlynnw Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm
post #24 of 48

I am heart broken, the laundry mat got closed down and now where do you get the vanilla dog hair off your apron? Trying not to go OT

Tita9499 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #25 of 48

WHAT!?!?!

jlynnw Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #26 of 48

I am so sad. I am crying. Can we do laundry thread 2?? Or vanilla dog hair meets the laundry mat?

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #27 of 48

Here's something I don't understand - why does a thread have to stay on topic in the lounge anyway? Elsewhere I do understand and I'm not trying to be confontational or rude - I really don't understand it - does anyone know?

Tita9499 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:02pm
post #28 of 48

That's WHACK!! They could've warned us so we'd go through detox better...I'm with you Judi, I don't get it either. If I start a thread called, "I just want to ramble about a bunch of stuff", will that ever get locked for going off topic? I really am curious.

Moderator: can you enlighten us?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:01pm
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by favrtdtr

Here's something I don't understand - why does a thread have to stay on topic in the lounge anyway? Elsewhere I do understand and I'm not trying to be confontational or rude - I really don't understand it - does anyone know?

It's probably just a practical thing because the topic title will be what people look at first, so it should be relatively consistent with the posts. I wish a moderator would jump in and explain why the first get to know you game was pulled, though. I'm still wondering. I don't think it could have been because of that one question, that doesn't make sense.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

DKelly: my step-father is from South Korea and he used to tell me all the time that my dogs would make good soup. I thought he was joking until my mom (who was stationed in Camp Casey) told me they actually breed dogs for consumption.

OMG!! Note to self.......if ever traveling in S. Korea......pack a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread. icon_lol.gif

Does anyone have any idea why so many threads are getting locked or deleted lately?

The "getting to know you game" is a real puzzle to me. I mean if they thought that one question was controversial and warranted deleting the thread, how about the Steve Famulari (sp?) thread.......that's got some stuff in it that breaks at least 3 of the CC rules. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%