Upside Down Cake

Decorating By Cakey1865 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 12:37pm by aligotmatt

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 11

Ok so my daughter is turning 16, a few months ago she saw a cake that was 3 tiered and looks upside down, you know smallest layer on bottom and biggest layer on top, and of course that is the cake she wants, My question is how in the world do I do that?
Please help, thanks in advance,

10 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 11

boy, that's a doozy. Unfortunately I have no words of advice, but here's a bump!

I'm gonna google it and see if anything comes up though.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 11

Just like you would any other cake. Be sure each tier is on a sturdy cardboard (I'd use plastic plates myself) and it will hold up fine.

Cakey1865 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:00am
post #4 of 11

But Mrs. Deb, what would keep it all from falling over?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:55am
post #5 of 11

I would build a stand for it to be on the safe side.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:23am
post #6 of 11

I did see it on tv once. Sounds like a fun cake, can't wait to see your pics.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:25am
post #7 of 11

If you just type upside in the search bar on cc you will bring up a bunch of pics of cakes cc members have done, read the descrip, some say how they did it or you could pm them.

funtasticake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtasticake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:51am
post #8 of 11

I was trying to send you the picture here. but I am not having anyluck attaching it..but anyway..type on search tutugirl she has a beautiful picture of her upside down cake...[/u]

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:17pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakey1865

But Mrs. Deb, what would keep it all from falling over?

Why do you think it would fall over? The cake will be perfectly centered; the center of gravity will be ok; the cakes are sitting on a dowel system.

stack some pans on your counter, smallest one on the bottom. watch them NOT fall over. thumbs_up.gif

Cakey1865 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:36pm
post #10 of 11

ok I see what your saying, Thanks you guys for all the advice

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:37pm
post #11 of 11

Attache a 5/8" dowel rod to a big piece of wood for a base. Bevel a hole for the dowel, put the wood glue in, put the dowel in, screw in the bottom of the board into the rod.

Use the same bevel to put holes through the center of your cake boards. I would recommend masonite if you can get it. The plastic boards lose some stability when they get a hole put in the center.

The sps system pillar is also 5/8" so I use that to punch a hole in the cake, and I do it Before fondant or icing, then just re-clean out the hole after.

Slide your bottom cake down the center dowel. Put in dowel rods, slide the next one down, put in dowel rods, slide the last cake down.

Make sure your center dowel is a smidge shorter than your cakes so it isn't popping out the top. It's really quite a pain to cut once it's attached to the board, and especially once you've slid cakes down it.

Ta da! It takes a little bit of wood work, but it will be nice and secure. And, since it's for your daughter, you can save all of the pieces for the next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%