Sugared Fruit?

Decorating By liapsim Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm by liapsim

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, how do I do sugared (real) fruit? Do I just wet it and roll it in granulated sugar? Doesn't it make the cake a little wet? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

8 replies
TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 9

I'm not exactly sure, but I think you brush the fruit with egg white.

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 9

I've read, that you wash and dry the fruit then brush egg white and sprinkle superfine sugar on to it. Let it dry then put it on the cake. Good Luck icon_smile.gif

liapsim Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 9

THanks to you both! That helps a ton!

farmersbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersbell Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 9

I've always used powdered egg white or meringue powder. Beat it with the reccomended amount of water on the package. I dip them, let them sit for a few minutes until it's tacky but not "wet" and then role in superfine sugar, colored sugar etc...

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 9

Hi - I just 'sugared' my first fruit a few weeks ago. I used the Wilton meringue powder with the recommended amount of water. I couldn't find superfine sugar here - so I just used granulated sugar and I found it was best to 'spoon' the sugar over the fruit. I held the fruit in one hand and poured the sugar over it with the spoon in the other hand and twirled the fruit around to coat all sides - it kept the rest of the sugar from getting too clumpy.

I washed my fruit at about midnight the night before and left it on the counter to dry on plain white cotton towels and got up at 6:00 a.m. the next morning and starting sugaring. It took almost 3 hours to do a 3 lb bag of granny smith apples (these were the cutest!), about 2 lbs of grapes and 2 qts of strawberries. The strawberries weren't real ripe - but they sure seeped the juice by the time I put the fruit on the cakes at 3:00 p.m.

Good luck - I think I have gotten as many compliments from that cake as any other I have decorated. It was a chocolate grooms cake - 3 individual layers set at different heighths (we used small wrought iron plant stands as cake stands) and then put the fruit around and on the cake, stands and table.

Suze

liapsim Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 9

Awesome! I'm doing it on a groom's cake too...thanks so much!

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 9

you can make you own super fine sugar buy puting granulate sugar in the blender icon_smile.gif

liapsim Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm
post #9 of 9

Great idea Kayla! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%