Will Fondant Destroy My Ka?

Decorating By AverageMom Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 1:08am by Lita829

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 19

I've noticed a few people saying that mixing fondant in their KitchenAid destroyed the motor. Really? Even if I just make one batch at a time? Now I'm scared!

18 replies
FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 19

I make MMF a lot. I started making it in my KA but I was scared the moer would burn out plus the beater was a pain to clean afterwards. So, I went to the dollar stare and bought a large plastic bowl and I just mix it in there. Works fine and almost no mess to clean.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 19

Do you really want to risk it? I think the people who make it in their mixers don't add more then half of the powdered sugar and then do the rest by hand or if they do mix it all the way then they have the heavier duty KA with the stronger motor. But still.. do you want to risk ruining your KA on one batch of fondant?

Wow spell check please! DOH!

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 19

I probably did it wrong but MMF blew my motor out of my 15 (or maybe 1icon_cool.gif year old KA. I don't remember the details. They are lost in the fog of me screaming, crying and wailing while I mourned my KA. I probably tried to go the lazy route and let it mix too much. That said, I'm never buying a bag of marshmellows again.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #5 of 19

I've made MMF and MFF in my KA Artisan. I have to admit, though, that I don't completely finish it out in the KA. That's just a starting point, and I finish out the fondant by hand. My Artisan is a workhorse, so I'd mourn if I ever lost it!

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:40am
post #6 of 19

MMF is easy enough to make by hand that it just isn't worth the risk to me.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:41am
post #7 of 19

I make MMF in my KA Artisan too. It's not any harder for the machine to do than bread dough, as long as you've got the bowl and hook greased well with Crisco. Don't turn it up any higher than 2, just like anything else that you use the hook for.

The only thing my KA has ever seemed to struggle with was marzipan.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:34am
post #8 of 19

Just made a batch of Michelle Foster's fondant in my KA and it worked fine. I have one of the professional series lift styles, so I don't know if that's the reason or not.

I hope it doesn't mean that I didn't put in enough icing sugar, because that would make me cry.

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:07am
post #9 of 19

I have made a ton of fondant in my KA(professional series) and have never had a problem. I make one batch at a time(grease everything(no sticking) and finish off the last cup of conf. sugar by hand.

Honestly never thought about it. I have a harder time with my mixer with a double batch of choc. chip cookies than the fondant. Good luck!

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 19

My first reply! So Glad I Found CC ! - Here goes...
I just got a KA Pro 6 yesterday, as it sits on my counter gleeming icon_eek.gif beautifully at me right now - I just can not wait to make my MMF with it. Do you think my "Big Bertha" could handle it (def. going to name her, since she will see more action than my husband and will be part of the family)- I would just die icon_cry.gif if I broke it before I even mailed in the warranty. Thanks !

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 19

I mix only part of MMF in my KA. I put the melted marshmallows in first with everthing all greased and add just 1 cup of PS and then another. I make small batches so I never add more than 2 to 3 cups of PS. I then turn that onto my board and knead the rest in by hand.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 19

I mix and knead mine by hand....I have the same fear that you have so I don't risk it anymore. I made it once with the kitchenaid and it sounded like the motor was straining so I've been making it by hand since.

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #13 of 19

My first go at homemade fondant really sounded like my KA was gonna die. Now, when I do make fondant in my KA, I only add 2/3 of the required ps, then knead the rest in by hand.

Quells any fear I have about hurting my little red baby.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammerude

My first reply! So Glad I Found CC ! - Here goes...
I just got a KA Pro 6 yesterday, as it sits on my counter gleeming icon_eek.gif beautifully at me right now - I just can not wait to make my MMF with it. Do you think my "Big Bertha" could handle it (def. going to name her, since she will see more action than my husband and will be part of the family)- I would just die icon_cry.gif if I broke it before I even mailed in the warranty. Thanks !

LOL My pro is Lucielle LOL and my artisan is Daisy.

Ok now that introductions are out of the way. If you read your KA manual it will tell you that when mixing thing dough's to use the hook attachment and NEVER go above 2.

I have made some pretty think battered cakes, cookies and even sweet bread dough with no problems.

Again though would encourage reading the manuel so you know what your KA is capable of.

HTH

Miss Lizzy

vlk Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 19

You are totally right, Miss Lizzy ! Thanks - her starting and me finishing is a good "team" effort. thumbs_up.gif

PS -Thanks for saving Bertha - she is smiling icon_wink.gif

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:55pm
post #16 of 19

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to have to go back to mixing by hand...sob... because I would hate to lose my Beloved. I DID read on here somewhere that somebody melts, mixes, etc all in a big corningware dish. That sounds like a good idea to me.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:03pm
post #17 of 19

Hmm, maybe I'm wreckless or lazy, but one of the things I love most about my KA is that it makes my MMF for me. If it won't, I'm not sure it was worth the investment. I have the 6 qt Pro and use the dough hook. I figure the machine was designed for such use, but won't I feel like an idiot if my fabulous KA goes to heck?! I will go on record saying that I probably wouldn't make MMF in a different KA model. I intentionally got the Pro because I wanted a heavy-duty motor that wouldn't die on me. If my beloved KA does burn up, I'll be sure to update you all so you'll know NOT to make MMF in your KA. (It's like a secret language!)

vlk Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:37am
post #18 of 19

Can I get a Woo Hoo for Bertha !

I tried it, kringing as the PS was being poured in - I talked her through it and Holy Moly !! My hands never touched the MMF except to pull it out !

I mean really, I love my KA !!

I got to thinking - I have done cookie dough thicker than MMF in my standard mixer. Sometimes the recipe could have been mistaken for cement.

Thanks for all the input...

PS - the Warranty card went in the mail today icon_lol.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:08am
post #19 of 19

Yeah, I have the 6Qt Pro and used the dough hook, also. It was my first time making MMF and I had added all the sugar to the bowl, which I shouldn't have icon_redface.gif . Maybe thats why the motor sounded like it was straining. Hmmmm...probably so.

All I know is that it scared the living daylights out of me. The thought of breaking my baby still makes me shudder icon_cry.gif

Maybe I'll be a brave soul and try making MMF with the kitchenAid...one day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%