Pillars

Decorating By sister340 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 6:21am by Renaejrk

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:12am
post #1 of 2

So, we kind of got propelled into doing wedding cakes. We have a catering business and have made refreshments for a few years. Chocolate fountain, lots of things. But the lady in our small town who has done most of the cakes is no longer able to do that, so people started asking us. Of course, we said we could do it. Now we're on a fast learning curve, to say the least.
The cake I need to do in July is 3 squares with pillars between both layers. Do you dowel under the pillars? Do you put the pillars between layers of the cake? What is your best advice for me?
Jackie N.

1 reply
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:21am
post #2 of 2

I think there may be a tutorial on this site for that? not sure. Wilton probably has instructions too. Usually each of the top cakes sit on a "plate" made to go with the pillars. The plate sits on the pillars below it, and they are kind of "hooked" together. The pillars actually stick into the cake, so you need to know how tall your cakes will be and how tall you need to get your pillars so they can have enough length to have however many inches you want to show between layers. Basically, the pillars end up kind of being like dowels. You usually take the cakes separately to the venue and set them up there, as they might be a little wobbly in transpo, IMHO. There are a lot more experienced bakers here who I'm sure will help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%