Bubble Tea Straws

Decorating By aundrea Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 11:52am by cylstrial

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 46

After many failed attempts to find them locally I've given up.
What website do you use to purchase bubble tea straws.
Thanks!

45 replies
tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 46

amazon!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:33am
post #3 of 46

And the correct enunciation for that is "A-MA-ZIN"!!!!!!

tree45 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 46

LOL that's right! You can find anything there!! icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:47am
post #6 of 46

just out of curiosity, what do you do with bubble tea straws? And what is bubble tea?

tree45 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:56am
post #7 of 46

Bubble tea, to the best of my knowledge is a southern tea with tapioca beads in it. They use a bigger bubble tea straw to sip out the beads. The straws are awsome though for stack cakes supports becasue they are sturdy and easy to cut.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:59am
post #8 of 46

I acutally found these at the Salvation army! They had the packs for 1.00!! I bought tons.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:12am
post #9 of 46

Thank-you I will try amazon.
And yes the bubble tea straws are used to drink a thick tapioco like pudding through a straw. Cake decorators find these thick ans sturdy straws are great when stacking and much easier to cut. Just very hard to find in stores. I went to every asian store in my area and couldn't find them.
Side note: a co-worker I found out today, just started taking her first wilton course. I couldn't get a piece of paper fast enough to give her this website! I told her she will learn everything she needs to know here. And the people here are truly family who wants all of us to suceed in our cake decorating goals. I hope she checks CC out and posts her work. Yea I finally have someone at work who can speak my language!!! LOL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 46

I have never tried them...but I always hear people talking about them. I guess I'll have to give them a try sometime. I'm gonna go look at those links! Thanks everybody!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 46

I got mine at the above posted ebay site and that is the best price I have been able to find.

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 46

I went to a bubble tea shop and the lady sold me a sealed bag of them for $5

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:34pm
post #13 of 46

I got mine on Amazon a couple of weeks ago and have been dying to try them out... I finally get a chance to tonight. I'm excited!!

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #14 of 46

I got mine off ebay. The deal was unbelievable!

I love them they are soo easy to cut. I have used them on all of the cakes I have made since I found them. I also use them over the dowel for the center of the cake to go between tiers!

they are great!

Katie

cylstrial Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 46

Ok - so I've ordered some of the bubble tea straws. Can you deliver the cake stacked with the bubble tea straws? Or should i stack it when I get there?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #16 of 46

Of course you can deliver them stacked using bubble tea straws.... well unless it is super heavy and super tall.

cylstrial Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #17 of 46

Thanks Rylan! Can you give me more info? The cake will be 4 tiers. I was planning to put the last one on at the reception hall. They will be 6,8,10, and 12 squares. Do you think that the bubble tea straws can support the 8, 10, and 12? And then how many would I use? Do you use more of those than dowels, or the same number of bubble tea straws as I would use if I were doweling it? Last question, for now anyway, do you run a big dowel thru the whole cake when using bubble tea straws?

thanks!

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #18 of 46

I love the bubble tea straws! I first saw them on sugarshack's "Successful Stacking" DVD...this DVD was extremely helpful!!!

Bubble Tea is kind of like a smoothie with the tapioca pearls at the bottom...don't know why they call it tea...but it was good!

Good luck!

becklynn Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #19 of 46

Oops..I forgot to post the link..
Here is where you can order the Successful Stacking DVD and other great instructional DVD's from Sharon (sugarshack). The newest one is the Topsy Turvy...just got mine yesterday!

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

donkeemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donkeemom Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #20 of 46

Wow....you learn something new everyday. So glad I saw this today, I will be ordering some bubble tea straws.

jammjenks Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Thanks Rylan! Can you give me more info? The cake will be 4 tiers. I was planning to put the last one on at the reception hall. They will be 6,8,10, and 12 squares. Do you think that the bubble tea straws can support the 8, 10, and 12? And then how many would I use? Do you use more of those than dowels, or the same number of bubble tea straws as I would use if I were doweling it? Last question, for now anyway, do you run a big dowel thru the whole cake when using bubble tea straws?

thanks!

The straws will certainly hold the weight of those tiers. I use them all the time now. Use the same # as you would dowels. To travel with assembled cakes, you would still need the center dowel. Here's one I delivered assembled that had straws for supports. The whole thing was WASC.
LL

becklynn Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #22 of 46

Wow! That is a gorgeous cake!!

wcarrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wcarrick Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:50pm
post #23 of 46

Ditto on the great cake. I to use the straws and love them. They have been a breeze to use.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:00am
post #24 of 46

I found mine in Manhathan at chinatown, at $1 for a bag.

donkeemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donkeemom Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #25 of 46

I just found some on ebay.....already ordered some, can't wait to try this. icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:23am
post #26 of 46

Oh April, that cake is amazing!!!!!

Where are you getting your bubble tea straws?

cylstrial Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:30am
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:

thanks!

The straws will certainly hold the weight of those tiers. I use them all the time now. Use the same # as you would dowels. To travel with assembled cakes, you would still need the center dowel. Here's one I delivered assembled that had straws for supports. The whole thing was WASC.

Wow April! Your cake is gorgeous! Thanks for answering all of my questions. I really appreciate it! It sounds like you travel with the entire cake assembled. But I just want to clarify, do you travel with the top tier on? Or do you put it on at the venue? Thanks again!

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:21pm
post #28 of 46

Jammjenks, that is beautiful. icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #29 of 46

Sorry for the late reply cylstrial but jammjenks I believe has answered your question. I actually prefer a combination of bubble tea straws and wooden dowels for stonger support.

I've only traveled one cake and it was only 3 feet tall from the base to the topper (in my photos). I traveled it completely stacked and on the stand. It stood up fine.

I believe Edna transports all her cakes stacked.

jammjenks Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:33pm
post #30 of 46
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:

thanks!

Wow April! Your cake is gorgeous! Thanks for answering all of my questions. I really appreciate it! It sounds like you travel with the entire cake assembled. But I just want to clarify, do you travel with the top tier on? Or do you put it on at the venue? Thanks again!

I did travel with it completely assembled.

Patty, I bought them off of ebay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%