My First Cake Order

Decorating By jvanhorsen Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 10:39pm by cylstrial

mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:05am
post #31 of 50

You did an awesome job! It is very stunning-I can't believe what a great dark blue that is! Congrats on your 1st paid cake! I just had mine a few weeks ago!

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:23am
post #32 of 50

You did a great job! It sounds like you are having a lot of fun with this cake decorating... that's awesome!!

Congratulations on a beautiful cake. thumbs_up.gif

superdobbers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superdobbers Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:41am
post #33 of 50

That BOW! *swoon* thumbs_up.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:10am
post #34 of 50

Lovely, lovely cake!!! All of your painstaking attention to detail definitely paid off thumbs_up.gif

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:27am
post #35 of 50

Beautiful work. Those letters must have been very time-consuming. I paid off, though.

I love the sea creatures. They are simply adorable.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:54pm
post #36 of 50

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!

The colors are stunning, your bow - georgous.

And those little sea creatures are adorable! You will have to tell us how you did them. But back to your cake, you should be very proud of yourself (I'm sure you are). It is amazing. thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:20pm
post #37 of 50

Yeah, haven't found a need for Tappits, it's not a font I even care for. I love downloading fonts from DaFont.com and making them myself.

Good JOB!!! I am so buying Adobe Illustrator...that is too cool!

jvanhorsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jvanhorsen Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #38 of 50

Thanks for all the great compliments!

Now I just can't wait to eat it! I have been trying not to snitch any of the cake scraps, but everyone tells me that this is the best tasting cake I have ever made.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:19pm
post #39 of 50

Wow! Your design is beautiful!!! Sounds like you have everything all mapped out and it should be smooth sailing for you! Good luck!!

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:27pm
post #40 of 50

You did an amazing job!!! Way to go!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #41 of 50

Ok...nevermind, NOT ordering Adobe Illustrato...$500. ((sigh)) Dang it.

jvanhorsen Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #42 of 50

So I have a question, in the photo, you can see the bulging between the cake layers where the buttercream is pushing out. How would I best eliminate this issue? I have to guess this is happening as the cake settles and the weight of the fondant pushing down on the cake.

Would a thicker sheet of fondant help to hide that issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh

jvanhorsen Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #43 of 50

So I have a question, in the photo, you can see the bulging between the cake layers where the buttercream is pushing out. How would I best eliminate this issue? I have to guess this is happening as the cake settles and the weight of the fondant pushing down on the cake.

Would a thicker sheet of fondant help to hide that issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh

cakeheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeheart Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #44 of 50

That is a lovely cake! great job!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #45 of 50

Your cake is gorgeous!

To avoid bulging - fill and crumb coat your cake one day and ice and cover it in fondant the next, this allwos the cake to rest and do any squishing before your cover your cake with fondant.

I read here somewhere recently, I think it was Leahs, that said you can rest something with a bit of heft to it (I believe she used a ceramic flooring tile) on top of the cake to help get it to settle before covering. (be sure to place wax paper or saran on top of your cake before placing a foreign object on it)

jvanhorsen Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #46 of 50

Well ya, that makes complete sense.

Thanks so much for the information! thumbs_up.gif

jvanhorsen Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #47 of 50

Well, I delivered the cake, and it was a huge success! Everyone loved it, and I can not tell you how many people came up to tell me how incredible the bow was. I could have just stuck that bow on a sheet cake and been done with it. icon_razz.gif

Anyways, I posted the glamor shot from the event, so you all can see it in its true glory.

My First Paid Cake

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:44am
post #48 of 50

OMG! this came out GREAT! you did awesome.
Good job thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanhorsen

Now I just need to deliver it tomorrow. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

Josh

Just make sure you have a long dowel going through all three tiers.And put a slip proof mat/cabinet liner between the cake board and the surface that will be used to put the cake on in the vehicle.
Remember, Speed is not as big of an issue as breaks icon_biggrin.gif just keep your distance from the cars in front of you...and you will be fine! icon_lol.gif
Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get there.And remember to take your essential cake fixing tools,Viva,printer papers,spatula,extra icing etc with you.AND don't forget to take your contact cards ,as I am certain when people see this fabulous cake,they'll get you busy soon icon_lol.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:37pm
post #49 of 50

Wow! It came out just beautiful! Congrats on a job well done! Looks like the first of many beautiful paid orders!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:39pm
post #50 of 50

Your cake turned out wonderful! Congrats!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%