Uk Cake Decorating

Decorating By cakefan18 Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 11:42am by Cathy26

cakefan18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan18 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 19

Is getting cake decorating supplies tough in UK compared to the US? Are there stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby etc where u can get basic cake decorating supplies?

If I am moving from US to UK, what stuff do you recommend I can purchase from here before the trip?

Thanks.

18 replies
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 19

Hi

There are loads of on-line shops which offer really good value.

These are the ones I mainly use:

http://www.almondart.com/acatalog/Sugarcraft_Shop.html

http://www.cakecraftshop.co.uk/

http://www.cakedecoration.co.uk/

Where are you moving to in the UK?

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 19

I don't live in the UK any more but here's my 2 cents!

Most occasion cakes in England are covered in fondant so it's readily available in supermarkets. The most popular brand is Regal Ice. We do not have large craft stores like Michaels which also stock cake supplies. You will probably be able to find a cake decorating supplies shop though. In fact I don't know if you can buy Wilton in the UK.

Box mixes are not as readily available though so you will probably do a lot of scratch baking. We also work in ounces and grams rather than cups so make sure you take your measuring cups with you as you won't be able to buy them easily over there.

Crisco is called TREX.

I haven't lived in the UK for 6 years so things may have changed but I'm sure the English CCers can correct me if I'm outdated.

Relznik Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyPoppins

I don't live in the UK any more but here's my 2 cents!

Most occasion cakes in England are covered in fondant so it's readily available in supermarkets. The most popular brand is Regal Ice. We do not have large craft stores like Michaels which also stock cake supplies. You will probably be able to find a cake decorating supplies shop though. In fact I don't know if you can buy Wilton in the UK.

Box mixes are not as readily available though so you will probably do a lot of scratch baking. We also work in ounces and grams rather than cups so make sure you take your measuring cups with you as you won't be able to buy them easily over there.

Crisco is called TREX.

I haven't lived in the UK for 6 years so things may have changed but I'm sure the English CCers can correct me if I'm outdated.

I agree that almost all cakes are covered with fondant (or sugarpaste, as we call it).

Regal Ice that you buy in the supermarket seems to be different to the stuff you buy from a cake supply shop... much softer and not easy to work with.

Hobby Craft sells some cake making equipment - but not a huge range. You can get Wilton stuff in the UK - the biggest supplier is the last link I gave you... I *think* they're the main importers of Wilton for the UK.

I agree about box mixes - I think most people here do bake from scratch.

You can get cups to measure with in loads and loads of places nowadays.

I think that's everything??? But if you want to know anything else, just ask! icon_smile.gif

Suzanne x

cakefan18 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks guys. How about things like stencis, silicon molds, tips, cake pans, books, dvds etc. Do we get them easily in UK , if yes, would they be of the same price range as in US?

Relznik, I don't know which place I'd move to exactly. Would update once I find out.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefan18

Thanks guys. How about things like stencis, silicon molds, tips, cake pans, books, dvds etc. Do we get them easily in UK , if yes, would they be of the same price range as in US?

Relznik, I don't know which place I'd move to exactly. Would update once I find out.

Well, I am an American recently moved to the UK and I am seriously pleased with the amount of supplies I can get here. The style is different and a bit old fashioned compared to the US and Australia, but I am beginning to appreciate the talent and skills which go into their cakes. They are flawless and beautifully well presented once you learn to appreciate the skills it took to create them.

It is amazing to look at their talents in Bas Relief, figure modeling, collaring, royal iced cakes and boards, draping, broderie anglaise, ribbon banding, embossing, crimping, plaques, cutwork, color flow work and it goes on! These techniques were taken directley out of a UK book loaned to me by one of my sugarpaste (gumpaste) classmates, it was published in 1987!!! My point is, there is a wealth of knowledge about cake decorating here in the UK.

Be excited about coming here! There are many other positive reasons as well. You get all of your made in the UK cake supplies at half the American price! I get Cake Craft & Decorating magazine and it is 3 pound 50 here which is about 6 dollars each, which are also available for sale at my favorite stateside cake supply store wwwcakecraftshoppe.com for $12. There are sugar-craft guilds, which are cake clubs for almost every county. They offer demos and coordinate their competition displays for cake exhibitions. They take it very seriously! You will feel well at ease amongst your own cake kind! icon_biggrin.gif There is a HUGE cake convention in Birmingham every year and it has the best of the best UK supplies at a good discount. Having never been to a cake show or anything like it stateside, I cannot compare, all I can say is it is PACKED with cake everything!

I'm not sure what your situation is, but if I could not get stuff from the US, I would not be sad. I am thrilled to get supplies here and learn new techniques which have definitely broadened my cake skills. I am in my 3rd semester of sugarpaste class. They offer them at the local colleges. I have a blast with my new British cake friends. It's a great way to get to know their customs and for them learn about Americans as well. I would check out a UK store called apieceofcake.co.uk. My instructor orders from them quite often.

And how could I forget...they speak ENGLISH! icon_lol.gif What more do you need? thumbs_up.gif

Cake4ever Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 19

You asked about cake pans and tips and pricing here. It is very expensive here for US made items. As you can imagine, customs fees are very high, so expect them to be at least double what you pay for it stateside. That's the reason why UK items are expensive in the US. icon_smile.gif

I would have a good selection of small cake pans. Your British oven will be shockingly small compared to your American sized oven. I cannot use any of my cookie sheets and the majority of pans are in the garage crying over their non-use. LOL.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 19

two things that the us does and i cant get in the uk -
spinning leaf cookie moulds (i cant even find an equivalent, like a soap mould.
and sps - the wilton kind only.

otherwise, i havent seen anything mentiond by us bakers that i cant find here.
and i use www.apieceofcakethame.co.uk and www.cakescookiesandcrafts.co.uk
xx

Relznik Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisInOkinawa

Your British oven will be shockingly small compared to your American sized oven. I cannot use any of my cookie sheets and the majority of pans are in the garage crying over their non-use. LOL.

Ahhhh, yes... I stare longingly at American ovens, LOL!!!

Ovens here are 60cm wide (outside measurements!)

cakefan18 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 19

skisinokinawa, thanks a lot. That's very assuring. I am relieved, he he. Sugar paste classes in college, I am excited now. Thanks a lot.

Relznik, ovens, 60cms?, are you kidding me? wow.

brincess_b, thank you, I am glad to know you get everything over then mentioned by the US bakers and more.

Relznik Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:

I'm afraid not!

The largest tin I can get in my oven is 13"

May POSSIBLY squeeze a 14" in, but I'd worry there wouldn't be enough room around it for the hot air to circulate!!!!

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 19

If you think the ovens are small wait 'til you see the refrigerators!

Cake4ever Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyPoppins

If you think the ovens are small wait 'til you see the refrigerators!

They're still not as small as Japanese fridges. We're talking mini-fridges. LOL.

I'll measure the inside of my oven and let you know what it is tomorrow. I am off to bed! icon_biggrin.gif

I know it's not cake related, but bring lots of winter clothes and jackets even if you arrive in summer. icon_wink.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

Quote:

I'm afraid not!

The largest tin I can get in my oven is 13"

May POSSIBLY squeeze a 14" in, but I'd worry there wouldn't be enough room around it for the hot air to circulate!!!!

This is true, so don't even bother bringing things like half sheet pans or anything over 14in with you - it will just gather dust!

However, the cake pans available in the UK are, IMO, far higher quality than those in the US. They will last a lifetime and are extremely well-crafted (and have straight sides!).

My favourite supplier is: www.design-a-cake.co.uk and I have recently found these people who sell the same stuff greatly discounted!: http://cakestuff.bpweb.net/

We come back to the UK at least once a year, and I always stock up with everything because Dutch cake suppliers are woeful and way overpriced!

cakefan18 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:24pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks guys. Nothing over 14" then. Ya, and lotsa sweaters too, lol. Actually I did wanted to ask about what other things to carry to UK from US but since it's a cake forum, restrained myself icon_smile.gif

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #16 of 19

The USA definately has much cheaper prices. Bigger market, the prices are more competitive. Bring all your favourite American products. I have found the UK market to have higher pricing than other countries. I paid £11.95 for a texture cookie set. A tin cutter and three thin plastic mats. That is about $25 USD, crazy. I should have sent it back.

The weather is not too bad here, people always ask me why are you here, when you could be at home in your sunny country. The weather is fine, just bring those sweaters. I think it is a national pastime to talk about the weather here.

I believe that the US products would be cheaper for most things. Ship your items by sea and you will save. I arrived a 1 1/2 years ago and am loving it.

Cake4ever Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:24pm
post #17 of 19

Just PM me and I will be glad to answer any questions to the best of my ability. icon_biggrin.gif

I should know how small my oven is, but I tortured myself by buying this beautiful mini cupcake pan from Wilton today and... of course it does NOT fit my oven! Wah! icon_cry.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:28am
post #18 of 19

course, you can always buy a bigger oven! (i live in eternal hope of being able to, lol)
xx

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:42am
post #19 of 19

[quote="cakefan18"]Thanks guys. How about things like stencis, silicon molds, tips, cake pans, books, dvds etc. Do we get them easily in UK , if yes, would they be of the same price range as in US?

Relznik, I don't know which place I'd move to exactly. Would update once I find out.[/quote]

stencils, tool etc are all off ebay.co.uk for me, a great Seller is Knightpilgrim or Middlehurst - they both sell paste colours, cutters, dusts, etc but if you search you can always find what you need. the only thing i needed shipped from the uk was my agbay - everything else including heating cores, etc i either got off ebay or googled it and everything seems to be the same price as the USA.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%