Help W/ Caddy Wampus Stand

Decorating By jlsheik Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 1:26pm by neelycharmed

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 22

I just got the Bronwen Weber ( Cal-Java) Caddy Wampus Stand...it comes with very little instructions on how to actually get the cake on the thing!!
If anyone has this stand and has any tips they can share.....like, do I use a card-board or just place the cake on the stand plates and decorate on the stand? Or how do I get my baked cake over the poles with out tearing it up? Help....I have a MONDAY wedding and will be using this for it the 15th. Would love some feedback! Thanks in advance!
Laura

21 replies
jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 22

I'm no good for you since I haven't used mine yet, but I'll be watching this so that when I do I'll know what's up!!!

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 22

well i've never used one but on the challenges they are often used and it looks like the cakes have a circle the size of the pole cut out of them (in the middle of the cakes) and the poles come apart and then are screwed together as they add each tier. I think often they do their smooth icing/ fondant and then put them on the stand and add details later. I look forward to seeing your finished product - that stand it cool. Good luck.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 22

I would use a board underneath and have a hole cut in both the board, and the cake, for the pole! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 22

Send Bronwen an email and she'll probably help you.

jlsheik Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 22

k....I will e-mail her this afternoon....I am so excited to use this stand, but I am a bit of a worried though!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 22

There is a cake cring tool - it is a long white plastic tube with a serrated end that you place on top of the cake and gently twist as you push down - it cuts a perfect column of cake out so that you can slide the cake down onto a center dowel without tearing it. I cannot find one on-line anywhere right now, but I have this tool - it was just a couple of dollars. It may do the trick.

jlsheik Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:56am
post #8 of 22

ok....I may not get an answer from Bronwen in time....anyone have this stand that can help.... I would love to hear from you!!

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:12am
post #9 of 22

i made my own stand and used an extra piece of pvc the same way that tool was discribed. i cut a hole on the cardboard cake board first the size of the piece that will go there and put it on top of the cake (not yet decorated) pushed the pipe through. i then covered my cakes in fondant and decorated them, the fondatn is easy to cut out the circle because you can feel the whole in the cake underneath it. i didn't assemble the cake until i got there. i stuffed saran wrap in the holes in the mean time to keep it from drying out. so basically when i got there, all i had to do was stick the cake on the board and insert the curved piece. it was really easy. i'm not sure how hers goes together though. you might could decorate the cakes on the boards for the stand and then just put the stand together with the cakes on it already. theres a pic of mine in my photos if you wanna check it out.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #10 of 22

I still haven't gotten mines yet but I have a stand that also has a central pole. All I do is I cut a small circle in the center of the board and cut a circle on the cake as well.

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 22

You need one of these:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=304-8172

The wilton site says discontinued, but I've seen them at my Michael's.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 22

That tool looks like a plastic apple corer. If that's what you want, just go to Walmart, Kmart, Target, or kitchen store

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 22

Very similar but an apple corer cut is smaller than the pvc pipe.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #14 of 22

Okay.... I just have to be a know-it-all-b*tch here, but it actually is spelled like this:

catty wumpus

Not meaning to point out the OP especially, but this is like the eightieth time I've seen it misspelled here on CC.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:14pm
post #15 of 22

The cake stand designed by Bronwen Weber referred to by the OP is actually named the Cake Study *Caddy Wampus* stand (see caljavaonline dot com and then Cake Study). Dictionary dot com recognizes *caddy wampus*, so maybe it is a regional thing.....

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:09pm
post #16 of 22

Like Rylan & yamber82 said, you can cut hole in the cake board then in the cake. I would take the center pipe, trace around it onto the cake board then cut the center circle out of the board. Then take that cake board & place it on top of the cake & cut out a circle w/ a sharp knife. then you can line up the circles when you put the cake on the board.

I'm interested to know how Bronwen does it.

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:07am
post #17 of 22

To all of you that have posted on this... THANK YOU. I just got it today in time for a huge party and they are expecting some WOW factor. Needless to say I was starting to sweat bullets trying to figure out how on this green earth to mount them on this stand. And you marvelous, wonderful, intelligent people have saved my silly carcass! Much love!!! Thanks again!

tipsytaartje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tipsytaartje Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 12:29pm
post #18 of 22

I don't know if you still need it and if it doable with the caddy wampus, but I made a tutorial for a hole in the cake (in dutch, but I think you'll get it, by looking at the pictures)
http://www.deleukstetaarten.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?id=121788

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 12:55pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Okay.... I just have to be a know-it-all-b*tch here, but it actually is spelled like this:

catty wumpus

Not meaning to point out the OP especially, but this is like the eightieth time I've seen it misspelled here on CC.

Its spelled like this on web/Caddy Wampus Stand

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:09pm
post #20 of 22

there is another post on this right now. Just as everyone said cut a hole in your cake. The way I did it need the whole in the board to be as big as the connectors not the support pole. Ask me how I know this?*$##

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:13pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamacres

there is another post on this right now. Just as everyone said cut a hole in your cake. The way I did it need the whole in the board to be as big as the connectors not the support pole. Ask me how I know this?*$##

Sorry about the fat fingers, The hole in the board needs to be as big as the connectors not the support pole which is smaller

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:26pm
post #22 of 22

all great info to know icon_smile.gif
Mine will be here next week.
icon_smile.gif Jodi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%