Website Organization Question

Business By aligotmatt Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm by sari66

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 2

Working on my new site. Okay, I am not making the site, but I'm responsible for a lot of aspect of it, like writing all the sections or whatever.

So I get 10 menu items down the left that you can always access. This includes my photo galleries.

I'm having a hard time combining it to 10 things! I thought I could have an unlimited number. Okay, really I thought that my gallery would be 1 and then have sub categories within the gallery. But this is not available for the style of photo gallery that I chose, and I really really like it.

I have 6 sections of word stuff (About, Flavors, Prices, Contact, FAQ's, and another one which is a secret until my site is published.) Which leaves 4 for galleries, but I have 9: 1) baby shower 2) birthday 3) other celebration) 4) cookies 5) cupcakes 6) sculpted 7) topsy turvy icon_cool.gif wedding and 9)beach themed

I can easily combine to make baby, birthday and other celebration then cookies and cupcakes. But then I'm kind of stumped. I pulled topsy turvy and beach themed out of wedding cakes because it was like 100 pictures and I thought it was a bit much to look through. I could stick beach themed back in to wedding, and maybe combine sculpted and topsy turvy? it's kind of the same... What do you all think?

I talked to my web designer hubby and he said I could combine prices and flavors, have like a box for pricing at the top, then columns of flavors under it, that would open up another section to give me 5 galleries. I don't know which would be better?

Do you think people will eventually look through the galleries, even if it isn't all separated? I don't want to overwhelm people. Right now I have 3 sections for pictures and it's full, so every time I add something I have to delete something. But, people still look! So, maybe 4 isn't terrible...

any advice?

1 reply
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 2

Stick all those celebration cakes in one gallery, then put your topsy and sculpted into another one, then your cookies and cuppies, and weddings. If you have a lot of photos consider using flicker as it free up to 25 pgs I think then you pay.
Personally I don't need to see hundreds of pics to know if you can do something so consider that as well.
Good luck with everything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%