Customer Is Micromanaging Every Detail Of The Cake

Business By howsweet Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 9:17pm by Deb_

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 8

Then says but I've seen your work, I know the cake will be beautiful. Anyone else ever deal with this? There's a limit to how good this cake is going to look after the changes she's made.

7 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 8

I had a customer who did this and the cake looked fine, but I now tell her I'm busy when she calls.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 8

I dont let such people push me around. Naturally if she is anxious and some people are by nature like that, one can discuss the cake and plan it with her in great detail-after that though you have to tell her to trust your abilities and let her know there will be no more back and forth-she can go ahead or order elsewhere. Good luck!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 8

Make sure it is in your contract what the last date for changes is.

Frankly, if the customer just gets to be too much you can always tell them if they do not have confidence in you to create the cake they are welcome to find another baker. Otherwise, leave you alone icon_smile.gif (I'm sure there is a very polite way to put this put I am not in the mood to think of it at the moment icon_rolleyes.gif )

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 8

I've cut a few of those loose.

"I don't believe that I'll be able to meet your requirements. May I recommend someone else?"

Then CALL that baker and warn them.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 8

One way to avoid this is to implement a change fee. For example.........each time someone calls to alter the design, color, flavor, etc., there is a $25 fee to alter the contract.

I only allow changes until the cake is paid in full (30 days before) after that they're out of luck.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

One way to avoid this is to implement a change fee. For example.........each time someone calls to alter the design, color, flavor, etc., there is a $25 fee to alter the contract.

Do a lot of people do that for just one change? Or is that just something you do when you have a person who wants to change the cake over and over and over, like the OP is experiencing?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 8

I basically have it there to avoid PITA'S like the OP is dealing with.

It's funny how people think before they request a change if they know it's going to cost them money.

I mean time is money, whenever a change is made the contract needs to be updated, which requires my time, and they need to come and initial the change.

[/i]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%