Want To Learn How To Use Fondant

Decorating By kathy777 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 11:31am by Rylan

kathy777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy777 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #1 of 5

i am a advanced cake decorater .. BUT LOL haven't learned the basic of fondant.. I don't like wilton fondant its yucky.. But i usually either make my own fondant or marshmellow fondant.. Unfortunally i was going to make a topsy turvy cake with fondant .. But thats out the door because i tried to night and the whole fondant went on great but as i was smoothing it out it rip AGAIN>> Every stinkin time i try to use fondant it rips.. and it wasn't thin either.. Don't know what i am doing wrong.. So its going to be covered in buttercream.. And thats ok for now...

My question is ..... Is there anyone from Massachusetts Worcester area that would be willing to teach me what i am doing wrong.??? Figured it didn't hurt to ask icon_smile.gif Thanks in advance.. Kathy

4 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:53am
post #2 of 5

I'm not in your area, but I'm just curious what homemade fondant you have tried?

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:56am
post #3 of 5

I don't care for the Wilton. I like the Fondx brand. I would suggest you take a class at your local hobby store. It may be Wilton, but it will show you technique. Sounds like it may be to dry or you are stretching the fondant.

tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:39am
post #4 of 5

I've made MMF and there was a few times it didn't turn out right. It would rip easily. Are you using MMF? I think humidity has something to do with it. I love satin ice. Its very reliable and a great time saver and it tastes pretty good. Maybe if you used store brand you could see if your fondant has the same texture. Practise Practise Practise....You can do it!!! Good luck!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:31am
post #5 of 5

Try Jennifer dontz's semi homemade fondant. You have to get the dvd to get the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%