Questions About Freezing Buttercream

Decorating By cakeaddiction Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm by jamiekwebb

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 4

I'm sure this question has been asked before but for the love of search engines I can't find it here. If I have too much buttercream that I will not use in 2 weeks from making it, can I safely freeze it? And if I can, how long does it last and how long does it take to thaw?

Thank you in advance!

3 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 4

Absolutely you can freeze it! I like to put it into ziploc bags and squeeze the air out if I don't have alot or I have several different colors. I've frozen it for up to 2 months and it tastes just as fresh as when I made it. I try not to have any space or air at all in whatever I freeze it in. If it is in a tub, I will put cling wrap over it so I don't have any air. I've never had freezerburn and it stays fresh.

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 4

I guess it depends on what type of buttercream. I have tried it before, but when I took it out, the icing was gritty! Yuck! I'll bet you'll just have to try it and see if it works for your recipe. I wish it worked for mine, I always make way too much buttercream!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 4

I do this alot...just do like tracey said and make sure the air is all out of it. Thaw it complely and then stir or mix whatever is needed

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%