Cake Boxes & Boards

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 5:21pm by bashini

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 2

OK, this is probably the dumbest question of the day. I keep getting confused about the size of cake boxes. If you have a 10-inch cake on a 12-inch cake board, you need a 12-inch box, right?

Do you even use a board that is the same size as the cake? If so, would you still use the 12-inch box, or go to the 10-inch? I'm thinking that it would touch the sides of the cake. How do you prevent the cake from sliding around in the box?

Also, do you generally use a cake board that is 2-inches bigger than the cake? What is your preferred size?

Thanks!

1 reply
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

OK, this is probably the dumbest question of the day. I keep getting confused about the size of cake boxes. If you have a 10-inch cake on a 12-inch cake board, you need a 12-inch box, right? Yes, Use a 12" cake board.

Do you even use a board that is the same size as the cake? Yes, for tiered cakes.

If so, would you still use the 12-inch box, or go to the 10-inch? Use a 10" cake board.

I'm thinking that it would touch the sides of the cake. How do you prevent the cake from sliding around in the box? I did a wedding cake few weeks back and for the second and the third tier I used same size boards as the cakes. As I covered my cakes with fondant, I didn't had a problem.

Also, do you generally use a cake board that is 2-inches bigger than the cake? What is your preferred size? I like to have my cake board 3" bigger than the cake.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%