Suggestion Re: Answering Questions In Your Photo Comments

Decorating By Michellet62260 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm by Doug

Michellet62260 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellet62260 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 9

First off I want to say: " This is the best site EVER!" I keep it up on my computer all day and have learned so much from everyone here. I LOVE looking at all your photos and am in awe of the amazing talent here!

That said, here is my suggestion: A lot of people ask questions when they comment on photos, especially if there is no elaboration in the photo that is posted. I do see some of them answered in the thread of comments, but others I think are answering privately. When I see a question asked, I am curious about the answer too but hesitate to ask again since it has already been asked. Sure, it's nice to get a personal message, but my suggestion is for everyone to answer the questions in the thread for all to see. This would also make less work for you since you only have to answer the question once. I see this same thing happening on one of my other sites and it is frustrating because , Inquiring minds want to know? !
I hope I am not out of line suggesting this. I know a lot of you are extremely busy, I just thought this would make things a little easier for everyone! Thanks and have a great day!

8 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 9

In a perfect world that would work.......however most of the time I only go back to read comments on my photos the first day or two after I upload.

So if someone comes in a week later and asks a question in the gallery, I won't see it.

I think if someone wants to ask a question they should PM the person and not ask in their comment at all.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 9

When someone asks a question in the photo comments, I try to PM them as well as respond in the photo. The only problem is that sometimes people don't take the time to read thru all the comments, and asks the same question. So it's still another PM to send! Personally, I think if you seriously want an answer to a question regarding a photo, it's far better to send a PM to the decorator than ask it in the comments. All you have to do is click on the person's name, which will cause their profile to pop up, and then you hit the PM button.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 9

You can be emailed when someone leaves a new comment for you.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 9

I've tried answering questions in the comment section, but there's a limit to how many characters you can have in the comment section, so you can't write out a long explanation/answer. When you PM, there's no limit, so a long explanation can be written out.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 9

I like it best when the person with a question sends a pm. Usually the answer is quite lengthy and would take up too much space for the comments section. If the answer is just a quick short answer, leaving it in the comment section would be fine. If the answer requires several paragraphs, or pages, to explain....then I would send a pm.
Also...I often send photos with my answers.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

In a perfect world that would work.......however most of the time I only go back to read comments on my photos the first day or two after I upload.

So if someone comes in a week later and asks a question in the gallery, I won't see it.

you can turn on the option to recive an email when a comment is left on your photo.

I am torn with this....
on the one hand...if someone leave a comment/question & I answer it in the comments, it will provide the answer for anyone else...but only if they actually read all the previous comments (sometimes there are only a couple...but on the older photos, there are many)...and, believe me, people don't read everyone else's comments.
also, the person asking the question has to actually check back to my photo comments to see when and if I have answered. Do people do that? I don't know.
on the other hand...on certain older or more popular cakes, I may get a lot of questions that I sometimes have the time to answer and sometimes do not. I never delete a question, but it takes weeks to answer all of the pm's if they have accumulated. I like to help and don't want to make people wait for something they may need right away.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 9

I'll try to answer things in the comments if it is quick answer. If it is a more lengthy answer I will PM the person.

I'd much rather someone PM me a question if they have one about one of my pictures. That way I know they really want the answer and will see the answer. I know if I posted an question under the comments of a picture I'd probably forget to check back to see the answer, especially if that person doesn't reply right away.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 9

i post the photo --- and then "out of site, out of mind (and I don't mean I am!)

so....

better is for person to PM or even better....

start a thread asking about XYZ technique in ABC's photo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%