Pinwheel Made Of Gumpaste Or Fondant?

Decorating By mareg Updated 5 Jul 2012 , 4:14am by cakewhiz

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:58am
post #1 of 6

Does anybody know if its possible to make a pinwheel out of gumpaste and or fondant? Have you done it ? Are there instructions?

I would like to make one for a cake this week.
Thanks!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:15am
post #2 of 6

I haven't seen one, but it sure seems like it would work. I found instructions for making a regular pinwheel that you could probably adapt http://frugalliving.about.com/od/frugalfun/ss/Pinwheel.htm

Dodie79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dodie79 Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 6

www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=290534857635082

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 3:54am
post #4 of 6

Or you could use rice/wafer paper....

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 4:14am
post #6 of 6

How to make a two color pinwheel out of sugarpaste.
Choose two colors of sugarpaste to make your pinwheel. Roll out each color of sugarpaste very very thin approximately 5 X 5.
Place one color on top of the other color. Using a straight level sharp edge knife, (I used an 18 long straight edged cheese cutting knife) cut a 3 X 3 square.
Separate the two pieces of sugarpaste. Put a very thin layer of glue on one entire piece and place the other piece on top. Press very lightly together.
Place on a piece of cardboard covered with wax paper.
With a small sharp pin, mark a dot in the direct center of the pinwheel. (This will be a guide mark)
From each corner, cut towards the guide mark in the center of the pinwheel about
1 3/4 inch.
Put a dab of glue in the center of the pinwheel. Bring every other point into the center of the pinwheel and glue into place. As you bring the outside point of the pinwheel into the center of the pinwheel, place a small (1/4 diameter by 1 long) dowel or straw into the fold. This will hold the fold of the pinwheel open while it dries.
With a toothpick, put a hole in the center of the pinwheel directly through all the ends of the pinwheel. Make sure you go down into the cardboard. Twist the toothpick to make sure you have a clean hole.
Allow to dry overnight. I dry my sugarpaste objects in my oven with the light on and the door ajar about 2 inches. It is just enough heat to allow them to dry without melting them. Turn them over and allow the other side to dry overnight.
Paint one side of the pinwheel with 50% vodka 50% corn syrup mixture to give them a shine. Allow to dry a couple of hours and then turn them over and paint the other side. Allow to dry a couple more hours.
I used white sucker sticks to attach the pinwheels to. At the top of the sucker stick I made a hole with a very sharp heavy duty stick pin. Make sure the hole goes all the way through. This was not easy...but doable.
Using a corsage pin with a pearl top, I inserted the pin through the front of the pinwheel and into the sucker stick. I allowed 1/4 to stick out the back of the sucker stick and cut off the rest of the pin. I then bent the excess pin using a small needle nosed pliers. (you wont be able to bend it flush with the sucker stick, but do the best you can. I then hot glued the back of the pin onto the sucker stick.
Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%