Confusion With Refriderating Before Applying Fondant

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 7:18am by BeginnerCaker

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 6

I'm making my first topsy turvey cake. I have read countless posts on doing this.......still a little confused. I have also watched the tutorial on you tube from Janelle's cakes which was awesome by the way.

My questions: Cakes are in the freezer so I can carve them. After I carve them, do I let them completely unfreeze on the counter, or should I set them in the refriderator overnight? I often have problems with air bubbles under fondant. (learned from other posts it is from frozen cake releasing gas as it warms up) any advice please!!

5 replies
SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:36am
post #2 of 6

I usually take my cakes from freezer and carve and then put in fridge so they are cold but not frozen, then I ice them with a thin layer of buttercream for fondant to stick to, and then pop back into fridge for an hour or so so the icing is set up nice, this makes it easier to smooth fondant and if your buttercream is stiff and not sliding around it helps against air bubbles too.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 6

I can't cut a frozen cake but a semi pre-frozen cake works for me. Frozen is the only thing that works for others. I think the freezer time is for speed as it would take longer in the fridge to make things firm up. Some freeze, some fridge and some keep it at room temp. Don't be confused just do what clicks with you and what you think will work. And after experience you will find what really works for you.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #4 of 6

I agree with Miss Piggy. Its whatever works for you. I usually bake my cakes on Thursday, frost them and stick them back in the fridge just long enough for me to knead the fondant and get it rolled out. It gives the buttercream enough time to set up without having any condensation problems afterwards. If you try to cover a frozen cake with frozen fillings, especially now that its summer, you will have goo by the time you get to the venue. I had a strawberry shortcake I made last year for a wedding in June. We had 90 degree weather and the night before my a/c on my van let go. I only had to deliver this thing ten minutes away. But by the time I got to the venue there was some pink seepage coming out of one of the tiers. So after that mistake I no longer do that. I made sure that the cake is cool but not frozen when I go to put the fondant on it (and I have to thank Sharon Zambito aka Sugarshack's video for that one) and now I dont have that problem. I also use a product that is put out by Geraldine Randsome for condensation on cakes. I dont put it on the cake but keep it in cheesecloth near it when I got to deliver it. I think its like silicone that they put in with shoes , aspirin and pepperoni, things like to make sure it keeps the condensation away.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #5 of 6

Thank you for your replies.......I still need to know if after I carve it ( I assume it will be mostly frozen still) do I leave it out to thaw completely or do I put it straight into the refridgerator????

BeginnerCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeginnerCaker Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:18am
post #6 of 6

I prefer to carve it how I want it, do a crumb coating and then put it in the fridge while I roll out the fondant, then take it out, cover and put it back it the fridge so that the cake and fondant reach the same temp. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%