Making A Gumpaste Spray

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 11:20am by Evoir

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:50am
post #1 of 5

How do you tape gumpaste flowers together to make a spray without the more fragile ones breaking? It might be that I'm too tired tonight but it just isn't happening for me.

4 replies
Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:03am
post #2 of 5

Very carefully. icon_twisted.gif

I just assembled an arrangement the other day, so I know what you're going through. I learned to lay out my flowers on a large foam pad and work from there. I tipped one of my flowers when I hit it on the hard table. tapedshut.gif

Decide how you want to shape your spray. (Teardrop, arch, circle, etc.) I did mine in an arch. I put together the sides first and then the center last. So I worked in 3 sections. Decide which flower will be your feature and reserve it for your center or focal point. Start with leaves. Arrange 3 leaves, let's say they're rose leaves for example, shape them in a triangle and tape together. (work in 6 inch lengths of tape that has been split in half, so that it is one long skinny strip) Start taping by stretching out the whole length to activate the stickiness and then start wrapping. Then take a rose bud and filler flowers and make another set. Then once you have it how you like it, tape to the leaves. Make sure it will lay flat or lay how you need it to...

Try your best not to move the flower by the head, move the wire underneath. Do not wire the flowers too close together. Use you leaves and filler flowers to fill in gaps by bending them into place once they are already taped.

It's always best to work in 3's or odd numbers when arranging. Make different sizes of everything and make extras for breakage.

I recommend Lesley Herberts Complete Book of Sugar Flowers. HTH thumbs_up.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:07am
post #3 of 5

Oh and to try and hide wires, it's good to shape your leaves in different ways. Try and curl some and add them towards the middle of your arrangement, they hide the wires very well.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:17am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for that, Skis! I've been venturing into this territory myself and these tips are greatly appreciated.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:20am
post #5 of 5

I would add, always tape your stems before you combine them into your spray. When you tape a flower ALWAYS start at the top, right under the flower and work your way down. Lastly always have a bunch of spare flowers, fillers and leaves on hand for the inevitable breakages!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%