Help........please

Baking By aserrano259 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm by Jayde

aserrano259 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aserrano259 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:15am
post #1 of 6

has anyone heard of almond curants.....if so can you tell me what it is. I have a customer who requested almond curants for filling in her cake taste saturday.

please help anybody

5 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:22am
post #2 of 6

I've never heard of such a thing. Are you sure they aren't 2 separate things? Did she say, "almond-currant filling?" When in doubt, ask. I'd call her to clarify.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:22am
post #3 of 6

Here's a recipe for a pastry with an almond currant filling: http://www.myjewishlearning.com/culture/2/Food/Sephardic_Cuisine/The_Mediterranean/Nut_Pastries.shtml I've never tried it, it just came up when I googled almond currant filling.

Currants are more popular in England than the US. Here's a little info about currants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackcurrant

You might need to tell your customer that you've never made an almond currant filling because it's never been requested before, and that you either (depending on what you want to do) need a little time to develop a recipe for it or give her a list of fillings that you do use regularly.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:32am
post #4 of 6

If it were me, I'd probably make an almond cream filling (pastry cream) with almonds and add either dry currants or ones plumped in rum....

Or it could be a ricotta filling with almonds and raisins.....

The only way to accurately reproduce the filling is to ask the customer to give you a very definite description of what it was like.... or at the least where she had it. (And, "at a wedding" doesn't help!)

HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:37am
post #5 of 6

Oh my, Texas_Rose, that link has great sounding recipes. icon_smile.gif
(Love all the variations provided. Always wanted to try making something with phyllo/filo; other than chicken ala king in shells .)

Think I will try those after we get situated in the new house.

Thanks for sharing. thumbs_up.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

If it were me, I'd probably make an almond cream filling (pastry cream) with almonds and add either dry currants or ones plumped in rum....

That sounds delish! Now I have an idea for a filling for my carrot cake involving some cheesecake flavor, pastry cream, and some rum plumped raisens .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%