Cake Idea I'd Like Some Feedback On

Decorating By TBallad Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 11:45am by Doug

TBallad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TBallad Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #1 of 10

I'm working on a cake for a friend's daughter's first birthday. The concept is based on those wire toys with beads that the kids can push through a wooden shape. I'm thinking the base will be the cake board, the flower pot will be cake covered in BC, and the flower will be rice krispie treat covered in fondant. The wires will also be covered in fondant - unless someone has a better suggestion! - and the ladybugs and butterflies will be molded/painted chocolate or sugar candy (again, open for suggestions!).

Is this even feasible, or am I looking at an architectural nightmare?

Thanks!
Tricia
LL

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 10

I think I'd make the flower out of foamboard covered with fondant instead of rice krispie treat, just because it would do better with that hole in the center, I think.

TBallad Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:55am
post #3 of 10

I should add, the cake is supposed to serve about 30 people. If the flower pot isn't enough, I can always put it on top of a half sheet cake decorated like grass.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 10

I would do the flower out of gumpaste, as rice crispies can get shockingly heavy. I would also go a round cake one layer for the grass layer, a cake flower pot, that should give you enough servings. I would TOTALLY use real wire. (but then I don't pull sugar.)

I would LOVE to see a photo of this cake when you are finished.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 10

I agree with the foamcore for the flower. Even gumpaste is really heavy so it would want to pull downwards too much and your flower will look like it needs watering!!

TBallad Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks - I knew it was a good idea to run this thing by you all! I think I'll do a trial run (my family won't object LOL!) and post pictures.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 10

I'm not so sure about the wires being covered. I think it's a good idea that you want it covered, but covering it with fondant/gumpaste will make it look so bulky.

Good luck on the cake. The design is really neat.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 10

I agree...bulky looking. Maybe you can get precolored wire? I've seen it. Doubt it is food safe, but if the ends are anchored into the cake board itself, no worries.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:31am
post #9 of 10

Can you dip the wire in chocolate after it's bent as a way of covering it?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:45am
post #10 of 10

very fine wire is available in most craft stores. check both the floral section of where you can get green wire and the jewelry making section where they sometimes have precolored wire. Craft paint can be used to paint the wire since it won't be touching the actual cake. just remember, the larger the gauge # of the wire, the THINNER it is. So look for 22 or higher gauge wire.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%