Sugarshack Icing ??'s

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm by kileyscakes

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 17

I made my first batch of Sugarshack's buttercream today. It is a HUGE hit here - worked like a dream, and is sooo smooth! I have several weddings this summer that I will be needing to use buttercream on - can anyone fill me in on how well this holds up in the heat? (live in Ohio here, and the heat and humidity can get ugly mid summer.....)

16 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:21am
post #2 of 17

I would like to know how it holds up in the humidity as well! Thanks for asking this question!
Celeste

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:17am
post #3 of 17

It holds up as well as any stable shortening icing can. It might sweat; it might get blow outs... but it prob won't melt unless it is in direct sunlight or extreme heat.

HTH!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:24am
post #4 of 17

ok.... i am making my first batch tomorrow.. for a 50th anniversary.. just got thru.. watching the youtube. video.. great!!! have all her dvds.. i had been trying also .. to find her chocolate buttercream recipe.. please come back on .. sharon ...and tell me how much cocoa.etc. or if anyone else knows.. please share.. tia

pink7200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pink7200 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:24am
post #6 of 17

I have made Sharons buttercream about 3 times now and I really like this recipe. I live in Chicago and so far it has held up really well. I find this buttercream recipe not to be so sweet so it really is the best choice for me. Smooth and delicious without all the sweetness. I bought her buttercream DVD and I too would like to obtain her chocolate buttercream recipe if any. If anyone does get a hold of it can someone please post it or let me know.

sugarshack Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:32am
post #7 of 17

see link above for choc recipe!!

thanks

MrsNewBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNewBaker Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 17

I finally tried sharons recipe and it came out beautifully I only made a half batch though for a taste test but I have a KA 5qt professional plus with the lift bowl and its hard to scrape the sides when its still going when I make a full batch if I stop the mixer to get a good scrape will that screw up my smoothness?

Thanks to sharons hypnotizing dvd I burned my cupcakes lol.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 17

Ooops!! That's not good.... Burnt Cuppies!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks for the info Sharon (and the recipes!!!) I have a friend who owns a business and has a "family" recipe for their buttercream - I think I have just nailed that famous "family" recipe thanks to you! icon_biggrin.gif I can't tell you what a hit it is here - everyone that has tried it just loves it.

I love CC - thanks for all the insight and sharing!!!

sugarshack Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 17

Glad you all lke it!

Yes, you can stop the mixer to scrape down. No worries there!

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 17

Hi Sharon,

I too watched your DVD on my laptop in the kitchen before making the frosting. It is great. My question is I have a6 qt KA and your video said 1 cup PS to 1 cup hi-ratio, so should I put 6 cups of each in for my 6 qt mixer? I love your frosting.....

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 17

I love the DVDs as well...can't wait to get my topsy turvy dvd in the mail! I'm on pins and needles waiting for it!

Sharon roughly how much cocoa do you use in your chocolate bc...how do you get it to such a dark brown?

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

I too watched your DVD on my laptop in the kitchen before making the frosting. It is great. My question is I have a6 qt KA and your video said 1 cup PS to 1 cup hi-ratio, so should I put 6 cups of each in for my 6 qt mixer? I love your frosting.....

Pinkbox posted a recipe in the recipe section Sugarshack's buttercream for a 6qt. That's what I use and I will never go back!! I love how smooth it is and I get so many complements on it. Many people are amazed that it's BC and not fondant!

HTH

sugarshack Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #15 of 17

tHANKS YA'LL!

1)Choc buttercream: I really dump it right from the can. one cup? maybe more??? really just as much you want, you cant do it wrong! LOL

2) topsy starts to ship monday. Hubby is stuffing cases as we speak. ( i have wedding cake this weekend) icon_smile.gif

3) 6 quart recipe:

3 lbs sweetex (usse a kitchen scale)

6.5 lbs powdered sugar (use a 4 cup measuing cup, 4 cups=1 lb)

9 tbsp wedding bouquet

11 tbsp hot coffe mate liquid

cream sweetex and liquids on first speed very well. add half amount of powdered sugar, let mix 30 seconds, then add rest of powdered sugar. scrape sides of bowl very well turn speed up one notch, mix for 9 minutes. scrape sides of bowl around top, mix for 1 minute longer. (Do not turn off mixer durning this scraping!) now, turn off mixer, remove paddle and cover with plastic wrap. let sit for 1 hour or longer.

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #16 of 17

Sharon-
Do you replace the 1cup of cocoa with PS or add it to the PS?

Jen

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #17 of 17

I was wondering what the measurments would be for a 4 1/2 quart? I have been wanting to try this too, and where to get sweetex and wedding bouquet?
thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%