Another Mmf Question

Decorating By psychmom Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 7:16am by psychmom

psychmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psychmom Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 9

Hi
I am very new to all of this - I've been reading for what feels like hours over the last two days. The warning sign about this site being addictive isn't big enough!! LOL
Anyway - because I have read so much I am confused. After making MMF do you wrap in oil coated saran wrap over night? The directions I printed out say to just wrap it in saran wrap but I swear I read something about the oil some where.
Thanks a ton
Y'all are full of great advice and your cakes are absolutely gorgeous!
~Raquel

8 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 9

Wrapping in oil is from Michelle Foster's fondant recipe. With MMF, I just rub crisco all over it and then saran wrap it, ziplock bag it, and then I put it in a tupperware bin. Hope this helps.

psychmom Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you! I'm going to try both - starting with the MMF cause it seems easier for a newbie icon_wink.gif

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 9

From a fellow newbie, NO, the warning sign isn't big enough!!! To me fondant is tempermental. I have tried the MMF recipe because like you said it seems easier. I'm planning to try the MFF recipe tonight and see how that works. The versions of the MMF that I have used have been ok, but they are really messy to make and I have trouble with them tearing. I made one batch one time that turned out nice and for the life of me I don't know which one it was or what I did that made it so perfect. Figures. The one piece of advice I can offer (been there done that) is don't get too carried away with the Crisco (if your recipe says to coat the counter, hands, etc.) I think that is where most of my problem has been. Good luck to you and Welcome! This is the best site ever, these folks are so talented and so helpful!!!!

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:43am
post #5 of 9

Ok, so I just made a batch MFF and it seems to have turned out perfect. I say seems because it needs to sit before I use it. I was more involved to make than MMF, however, in the end it was easier and neater. MMF is SOOOOOOO messy. I also used some of the suggestions and tweeked the flavor a bit by replacing some of the cream with some White chocolate coconut coffee creamer. I think I may replace it all next time and see what happens. As far as taste/texture, it is quite yummy and it was smooth and pretty and I only had to kneed it for less than 5 minutes. It wasn't sticking to anything, not even me. Hopefully it will roll out well and I will have found a winner.

reece430 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reece430 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:13am
post #6 of 9

Hi all! So, I made MFF for the first time last night and covered a cake today. And I am in LOVE. It rolled out beautifully and covered my very tall 6 inch tall 10 in round perfectly. I know there are a few recipes here, I used the 3 tbsp.

I've been making MMF for a year or so and have been satisfied bit not thrilled. Too much elephant skin and tearing. UGH!

So anyway, I am a new MFF fan!!!
thumbs_up.gif

psychmom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:55am
post #7 of 9

I made the MMF last night and used it tonight. After using Wiltons I am thrilled with the MMF! I kept telling myself to just find a recipe but just put it off. OMGosh - I can't believe how nice MMF was to work with and to color.
So if MMF is that easy and you all are thrilled with MFF I'll have to try it soon.
I also made gumpaste tonight and formed some turtles with it.

I am hooked!

Good luck to you all with your new experiments. And thanks to everyone for the help!

~Raquel

BeginnerCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeginnerCaker Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:08am
post #8 of 9

I am new to all of this and have been on this site pretty much everyday getting tips and ideas. Anyways, I have been reading about MMF and have made it once but am not sure what I think about it yet. Some of you are making MMF and others MFF, is there a difference or is it a typo? I feel silly asking but could you please clarify? Thank you!!

psychmom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:16am
post #9 of 9

I haven't made MFF so I can't tell you exactly the difference in working with it compared to MMF. The link is below with the recipe.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-46-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%