"ashy" Chocolate Transfers

Sugar Work By Chami Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 5:06pm by Sweetmaker

Chami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chami Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

This is my first post on this board and was wondering if someone can help me.

I made several chocolate transfers and the finish is kind of ashy. It is more noticeable on the Eeyore character that I made. I am not sure if I used a waxy paper and maybe the wax melted thus making the figures ashy. But looking at the pictures from my "whimsical bakehouse" book, the figures sometime look glossy or sparkly. I tried using pearl dust but it just muted the colors. Any suggestions on making them "pop" with a shinier finish or even sparkle effect?

Thanks!
chami

4 replies
Sweetmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetmaker Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 5

I have done this before but i am not positive about the ashyness you talking about.

If you used wax paper it could leave a waxy look. You could try it with clear acetate sheets or even just parchment paper.

It also could be your chocolate. Chocolate can develop a "bloom" that looks ashy. It means that you didn't melt it to the proper temperature called "tempering".
you could use coating chocolate with better results or try the proper tempering procedures with a really good chocolate.

also store your chocolate at 50 degrees for longer shelf life, I use a wine refrigerator for my chocolates. (bought it at home depot) The regular refrigerator is too cold and my house gets too warm.

hope this helps

Chami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chami Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:34am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your reply.

I actually used Wilton chocolate wafers and tainted them with candy color. Unfortunately, I used something called dry wax paper to set the transfers. some of the transfers have a bit of a sheen but many others came out with that "ashy" "waxy" look. I guess in the future I will definitely do them on parchment paper.

Is there a particular brand of chocolate wafers that are recommended for this process?

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #4 of 5

I do chocolate transfers with Callebaut chocolate but I temper it first. If you don't temper chocolate, it hardens with a dull, sometimes ashy look. If you temper it, it will be shiny and snap when you break it.

Sweetmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetmaker Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 5

Wilton is ok, Merckens is ok too. I think what may have contributed to what happened is when you tinted them with color. If your candy color is old or not specific for candy, it should be oil based it will effect your chocolate. You could try coating chocolate that is pre colored or pick up some fresh candy colors and see if that helps.

If you use the Callebaut chocolate you do need to temper it like mombabytiger said. I will say that tempered chocolate tastes sooo much better then coating chocolate. It is time consuming but worth the effort.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%