When To Refrigerate?!

Decorating By Shelley0323 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 3:23am by sadsmile

Shelley0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley0323 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #1 of 8

O.k.- I am pretty confused. icon_cry.gif I am new to cake decorating. I have read that fondant cakes should never be refrigerated. What if it is filled? Are there only certain fillings that need refrigeration? What about gumpaste decorations; o.k. in fridge or not? Please help. Thanks a ton to everyone.

7 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #2 of 8

I refrigerate my fondant covered cakes all the time without any problems. I've refirgerated gumpaste decorations without any problems as well.

Some people get problems with condensation though. Not really sure why some people don't.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:10am
post #3 of 8

I think a lot of the condensation issue is your weather and your fridge. It's dry and cool here in AK so I can fridge fondant and GP in home-type fridges no problem. On really hot days they may get a sheen, but no dripping, and I just let it dry. I cannot, however, leave them to sit in my walk-in commercial fridge or they get really "sheen-y" and GP stuff will absolutely melt.

I do fridge all my cakes.

Where are you located Shelley?

Shelley0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley0323 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:51am
post #4 of 8

Thanks. I am in Ohio- Cleveland area. And I just do this out of my home. So I should be ok, right?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:38am
post #5 of 8

I do not refrigerate cakes, ever. Refrigeration, especially a typical home fridge drys them out. Unless you have made a filling that must be refrigerated, there's simply no reason to refrigerate a cake. And I never design a cake with a filling that needs refrigeration.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:45am
post #6 of 8

How cold do you keep your shop Leahs?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:12am
post #7 of 8

I don't have a shop. I have a licensed home kitchen, so normal house temp.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #8 of 8

Oh that's right-blaming temp memory loss on 4 kids. I can't even yell at them with their own names sometimes, I swear! hehe I'd love to be in your shoes someday Leahs. icon_smile.gif The key you said was not making a recipe that requires refridgeration-you smart cookie! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%