Help- I Have My First Stacked Cake

Decorating By FrostingQueens Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 1:39am by FrostingQueens

FrostingQueens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostingQueens Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 6

So tomorrow I have to assemble my first stacked cake. Will have 2 8" and 2 6" cakes. What is the best way to do this? Any good ideas or advice? Please let me know. icon_confused.gif

5 replies
havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #2 of 6

are you saying there will 2 separate cakes with one layer on each tier or one cake consisting of an 8" double layer tier and a 6" double layer tier?

FrostingQueens Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:16am
post #3 of 6

sorry, It will be 8" double with 6" double on top

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #4 of 6

That is what I thought, but just wanted to be sure. Are you going to use dowels? You will not need many dowels for a six inch. I usually use four. After your cake is crusted, lay a 6" cake board on top of the 8", measure and get it centered. After you have it centered, press it lightly to make an imprint. Stick one of the dowels in the bottom tier, measure it to the top of your icing (not sticking above it) and mark it. Cut it and then reinsert it to make sure it is the right height. Cut all your other dowels from this one so they will all be the exact same height. I then partially stick my dowels in my bottom tier, making very sure they are all straight, leaving them sticking up about an inch. You can use a cake board to make sure they are all level. When you get ready to stack your top tier, line up with your impression you made with the cardboard circle, and then set your top tier on your dowels. They will magically sink into place, and you did not have to worry about getting your fingers out! I hope this makes sense.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #5 of 6

i make 6 & 8" stacked cakes frequently and i do it just the way havingfun does. i put a little extra spoonful of room temp icing (i use smbc) on the top of the 8" cake where the middle of the 6" board is going to sit for additional "cement" because i stack after refrigerating.

when i go to stack i am doing right on the stand i intend to present it on so i do not have to moved the cake itself once stacked.

i also hot glue my bottom cake board to the stand to make sure that puppy stays where i put it, lol.

FrostingQueens Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #6 of 6

thanks! that helps a lot. So keep your fingers crossed tomorrow as I try it out icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%