How To Cover A Cupcake With Fondant?

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm by emlashlee

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 7

I just saw the pretties cupcakes someone had posted and they were covered in fondant. How is this done? I've used fondant on cakes, but the edges are not so clean and pretty (covered them up with border) as the edges of the cupcake.

6 replies
Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 7

Ateco makes some very nice round graduated cutters, you just choose the size you need for your cuppy. To make sure you're getting even sized cuppys, use a scooper. I have one from Pampered Chef and can't do cuppys without it. thumbs_up.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 7

I just did two weddings that had cupcakes covered in fondant. I prefer to do them this way, I think they look very elegant. I used a round Ateco crinkled cutter that fit over the cupcake. I cut the circle, used the impression mat that went with the wedding theme, instead of buttercream, I used cake filling on top of the cuupcake, then put the fondant on. One of the wedding I put butterflies, the other I put leaves made out of fondant/gumpast.

Sorry I don't have any pictures uploaded, it's been a busy spring.

Kylie on Flickr.com does a wonderful job of this, as do others here.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:00am
post #4 of 7

I just use a round drinking glass to cut the circles. Once it's on the cupcake I smooth the edges with my fingers. If you're covering lots of cupcakes it helps to rinse the glass and dry it well every so often so it doesn't get a ragged edge.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #5 of 7

Try getting some round cutters There are many availble online.

Good luck.

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:42am
post #6 of 7

I have a set of round cutters they're flat on ane side and scalloped on the other.
I use the size that covers my cups, use a ittle spread of buttercream for the fondant to stick and voila!

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you - thank you - thank you! That seems...uh...simple. icon_redface.gif Sorry and thanks for letting me know. I can't wait to get some cutters!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%