Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Decorating By cutthecake Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 12:16pm by cutthecake

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 6

Occasionally, I see comments from people who are suffering with CTS. I had it for 27 years, then FINALLY had the surgery in 2007. It changed my life. Before the surgery, I was exhausted from the sleepless nights and constant pain from my neck to my fingertips and everything in between. Everytime I decorated cookies I was in agony. Having the surgery was the smartest thing I ever did. Really.
I had no post-surgical pain at all. (I took 1 pain pill at bedtime for two or three nights "just in case", but there was virtually no pain.) I was rather helpless for about two weeks (try zipping jeans with one hand), then weak in that hand for several more weeks. And now I can squeeze a piping bag without going numb.
So, my point is this: If you're afraid of the surgery, don't be. Talk to your doctor, and do the research. (A great orthopedic surgeon is a MUST.) Find the time to do it. I'm so glad I did.
(This sounds like an infomercial, but I'm not selling anything!)

5 replies
julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 6

I just saw my doctor yesterday about this and am being sent for nerve study tests with surgery to follow. I can't wait to have NO PAIN and UNBROKEN SLEEP!!!

cutthecake Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 6

I couldn't believe it when I slept through the night for the first time in years after the surgery!
I wish you a speedy recovery!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:01am
post #4 of 6

I remember my ex's mom having a surgery.

I'm glad you are doing better.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:11am
post #5 of 6

I need to finally go and get something done about my hand. I've lived it with it but now that I love cakes so much, that's it!

cutthecake Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 6

My only regret is that I waited so long. It just seemed as if the time was never right. It was typical mother sydrome--everyone else came first. If another family member was in pain, we would have dealt with it immediately.
At the consultation, the orthopedic surgeon asked how long I had had CPS. When I matter-of-factly said, "Since about 1980", he said, "What's the rush?" I said, "I've been busy for the last 27 years!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%