Fresh Strawberries - What Is Your Favorite?

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm by crystalina1977

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a work birthday dessert and all she told me is 'I love strawberry in just about anything.' The fresh strawberries are so good right now that I want to use them - I'm just lacking in the inspiration department. I spent a couple of hours yesterday searching online and finally decided to ask for help.

Help please - what is your favorite recipe using fresh strawberries? They can be in the cake or the filling and I have liquid Bettercreme that I can use. I would love to do cupcakes instead of a cake, but either one is fine.

TIA! thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 9

Well, I think the best strawberry treat ever, is the fresh open berry pie from Joy. Flaky crust, thin layer of pudding, mounds of fresh strawberries and a fresh strawberry glaze.

That said, if you want a cake, I just made a version of that in cake form and it was a hit. Very simple: Make a glaze (Joy) or use a thinned jam. Yellow layer sealed with thinned jam(apricot or strawberry). Then create a dam around the edges with your frosting. I have my own butter/cream cheese thing that I do instead of buttercream. Fill the dam with fresh sliced berries and the pour cooled glaze (from Joy) over berries. Top with second yellow layer and frost.

Frosting should be a stiff version so you don't get any blowouts. Variations could include flavored frosting or other berries.

You could use a prepared filling or something cooked, but the key to a berry lover is to include fresh berries. It will knock their socks off.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 9

Strawberry trifle -

Pound Cake, strawberries, some strawberry syrup (from the ice cream section, not the chocolate milk section) and whipped cream. You can feed a crowd on a dime with it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks, jescapades. That cake sounds yummy.

matthewkyrankelly - wow, that's a mouthful icon_biggrin.gif ... when you say 'Joy,' is that Joy of Cooking, someone named Joy (lots of Joy's on CC) or something else? I'm in agreement with you about the fresh berries. Once berry season is over, I'll look at some other options, but I really want to use FRESH strawberries. Your cake sounds like what I am looking for. I'm thinking cream cheese icing ... Thanks! icon_smile.gif

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 9

Freash strawberry pie or even a strawberry cake. Yellow cake and then bettercream with sliced strawberries. Fill and ice with mixture put a bottom border in just bettercream or any whip topping and call it a day. Light and yummy.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 9

Vanilla cake, whipped toping, lots and lots of fresh strawberries cut in big chunks as filling, frosted with more whipped cream and strawberry glaze and fresh strawberries to decorate, super easy and very popular version of strawberry shortcake ( if you use pound cake is even tastier ) thumbs_up.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 9

sorry, that was Joy of Cooking, glazed berry pie. I add a thin layer of pudding or pastry cream to anchor the first layer of berries. Remember, whenever you are working with berries, seal the crust, cake, etc, so that it doesn't get soggy. Berries always get wetter.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 9

there is a recipe posted on allrecipes dot com called mock lemon chiffon cake that uses fresh strawberries. i made this once for a work birthday and everyone loved it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%