Stupid Convection Oven!!

Decorating By Hollysuann Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 3:19pm by cakes22

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 6

So last night I am baking two 16 in cakes. I get everything mixed up..pour into the pan and go to stick it in the oven.....nope. WON'T FIT!! icon_mad.gif I have a convection oven and am assuming that because of the fan in the back the pans won't fit! This cake is the bottom of a 4 tiered cake due this Saturday for a graduation. So...thanks to my DH...we improvised. We took tin foil and covered where the oven wouldn't close. Then taped it in place with silver heating duct tape. I can't believe it worked!! They baked up beautifully. icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 6

Give your hubby a big hug for that one. thumbs_up.gif He deserves it.

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 6

I have the same problem with mine...I have a convection and the fan right in the back middle won't let me fit the 16". I have not baked a cake that big, but I went to store the pan in there and i couldnt close the door.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 6

thanks for the tip, I have the same problem but except for that, I love the convection feature, everything bakes so much faster and evenly

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 6

Ha! I love the ingenuity!

I did a 16" square two weeks ago, put the pan in the oven quickly when I got it and thought everything was great. When I put the batter in the pan and put it in the oven I realized that the back of the rack was actually lifting the pan up in the back making the batter uneven in the pan. I had to put a jelly roll pan under the cake pan to lift it off the rack and level the batter back out. I don't even have a convection oven, but the little ledge around the pans was just enough to make it a very tight squeeze.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 6

Good save on hubby "Macgyer-ing" your oven!!! Gotta love duct tape!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%