Before & After (Or The Effect Outlining Has On A Cookie)

Baking By GeminiRJ Updated 3 Nov 2011 , 11:48am by GeminiRJ

Jazlady999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazlady999 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:09pm
post #121 of 184

The cookie pics are amazing! A couple of questions. I've seen cookies in shapes here that I've never seen cookie cutters for before (like the get well/doctor bouquet). Where do you find these? Also, what types of bags do you use to cover your cookies? Is there a standard size you use? Thanks and thanks for this thread.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:21pm
post #122 of 184

most of MY cookies are hand cut out of clipart templates that i have made myself. to wrap cookies i use cellephane bags from nashville wraps. the size i use the most is the 4x2x9.

Jazlady999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazlady999 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:27pm
post #123 of 184

Do you hand cut them out of card board and then cut them out on the dough?

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm
post #124 of 184

i was wondering how you store the Glace, and how long it is good for?? thanks!

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:06pm
post #125 of 184

i print or draw out my design and laminate it. i use this laminated paper to cut out my dough. i keep them all stored in an extra large index file. the lamination also helps it stick to the dough.
i keep my glace in the fridge kept in the squeeze bottle and decorator bags. if i don't use it for 1 week i always remix before using. after 2 weeks i get rid of it(usually by letting the kids decorate with it). it is safe to eat, but uasually gets cloudy when dry

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:28pm
post #126 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazlady999

Do you hand cut them out of card board and then cut them out on the dough?

I draw up the design to the size I want, lay a sheet of plastic over it, trace it with a Sharpie marker, and then cut out with an exacto. You can use plastic that is sold at places like JoAnn's in the quilting or stencil aisle, or you can do like I do and recycle. My husband buys a lot of the booze gift sets that are out around Christmas. Almost all of them have clear plastic inserts in the boxes. I save those, and that's what I use. I've also done like kneadacookie and laminated, but I like to use the free stuff first!

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:40pm
post #127 of 184

Hi GeminiRJ
I am fascinated by your cookies and thanks everyone for all the tips.
I have only made one batch of cookies and they came out very uneven. I think I will try a different recipe for the icng. The recipe you gave on page one...is that 3 flat or rounded tbsp of milk powder?

GeminiRJ Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #128 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBloomer

Hi GeminiRJ
I am fascinated by your cookies and thanks everyone for all the tips.
I have only made one batch of cookies and they came out very uneven. I think I will try a different recipe for the icng. The recipe you gave on page one...is that 3 flat or rounded tbsp of milk powder?

I level all my measurements, so it would be flat not rounded.

On a side note, I made the icing without extract this weekend and the finish was PERFECT! I'm seriously wondering if the extract is the culprit in the blemished finish.

lasvegasmommma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasvegasmommma Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:05pm
post #129 of 184

This thread is AMAZING! SO many talented people here!!!

bakinccc... it looks like you use RI... correct? Do you outline your cookies before you fill them? FOr example... the 4th of July hearts... it looks like those were maybe outlined in black and then filled? Also, the Sound of music ones w/ the blue and black outline... how did you do those??? I would love any tips!

I also wanted to ask about using luster dust on cookies... how do you get a nice, thick coating of it? I have tried it before... I wanted to make some gold star cookies. I mixed the luster dust with vodka, then painted it on, but all it did was give the cookies a very ligh gold sheen. I wanted GOLD cookies! Did I use too much liquid and not enough dust?

GeminiRJ... can you bag the glace covered cookies and stack them, or will it dent the icing?

GeminiRJ Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:06pm
post #130 of 184

Yes, you can bag and stack the cookies. Let them set at least overnight.

motherofgrace Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #131 of 184

GEm!- I used the glace, loved it, And i added extract, and it was fine??? maybe its the different kinds?

GeminiRJ Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:23pm
post #132 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

GEm!- I used the glace, loved it, And i added extract, and it was fine??? maybe its the different kinds?

Lately, it's just been hit or miss! Very aggravating!

motherofgrace Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:50pm
post #133 of 184

i bet! i need to make more today, we will see how that turns out!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #134 of 184

my most frustrating part of using glace (which i love much better than RI now) is that my colors are bleeding. In my recent cookies, my black outline bled into the base, my light blue bled into the white base, yellow also bled. I didn't have this with RI and i also allowed the base to dry a complete 24 hours before decorating and outlining.

GeminiRJ Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:03pm
post #135 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

my most frustrating part of using glace (which i love much better than RI now) is that my colors are bleeding. In my recent cookies, my black outline bled into the base, my light blue bled into the white base, yellow also bled. I didn't have this with RI and i also allowed the base to dry a complete 24 hours before decorating and outlining.

Thankfully, I don't have a lot of problem with bleeding!

luv2bake6 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #136 of 184

You are very lucky cuz it's quite frustrating.

GeminiRJ Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:11am
post #137 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

Do you use brite white in your icing? I've had good luck with it since adding it to the recipe. Also, try not to over-saturate the icing with color. Other than those tips, I'm of no help! Would it help to say I feel your pain?

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:56am
post #138 of 184

Of course it helps coming from YOU, gemini, i'm such a fan of yours. Thank you for empathizing. I do use brite white in every recipe. I wonder if there is such a thing as too much white? Or is it not good to thin with water? I know you said you thin with corn starch. Do you think that would make a diff?

GeminiRJ Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:04am
post #139 of 184

I would definitely try thinning with corn syrup, as opposed to water. The only time I used water in place of milk when mixing the icing, for instance, I had a problem with bleeding. So I stick with what I have had the most success with!

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:01pm
post #140 of 184

So that may very well be where i went wrong. I should try corn syrup next time. Have you used milk to thin with success as well, or is it just the corn syrup?

GeminiRJ Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:48am
post #141 of 184

I only thin with corn syrup, and it's worked great. I've only noticed some minor problems with the finish since I started adding the extract. I might just try to reduce the amount of extract I use. I'm also hoping that warmer weather is right around the corner! I always have better luck with my icing with warmer temps.

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:44pm
post #142 of 184

so I tried the glace today (I've always used royal) and I love the shine and the colour I get from it. One question though, has anyone tried using a stencil with glace?? I have a bunch of stencils but I don't know if the glace icing will work with them.

GeminiRJ Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:32am
post #143 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanB

so I tried the glace today (I've always used royal) and I love the shine and the colour I get from it. One question though, has anyone tried using a stencil with glace?? I have a bunch of stencils but I don't know if the glace icing will work with them.

Try it! I would make sure to thicken the glace with additional powdered sugar until it is the consistency of peanut butter. Thinner glace would probably have a tendency to seep under the stencil.

luv2bake6 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:22pm
post #144 of 184

Ok, so i tried using corn syrup to thin out the icing and i still got the bleeding. ARGH. I'm not sure what else to do.

motherofgrace Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:32pm
post #145 of 184

last night, i used extract, and milk to thin.... and im still getting great results. Am I just getting lucky? lol

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:09pm
post #146 of 184

After reading all this, I can't wait to do cookies!! It is amazing what can be done on such a little canvas!!

GeminiRJ Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:01pm
post #147 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermom3107

After reading all this, I can't wait to do cookies!! It is amazing what can be done on such a little canvas!!

And if you goof up, you only have to eat one cookie....not a whole cake!

luv2bake6 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 10:26pm
post #148 of 184

here here!

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:51am
post #149 of 184

LOL!!But I love cake so much icon_smile.gif

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:34am
post #150 of 184

GeminiRJ quote:

I'm assuming you could use RI. I use the following:

3 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
3 Tablespoons skim milk (you can use water or other type milk)
3 Tablespoons corn syrup
15 drops brite white food color, optional (I use Americolor brand)

Mix the milk and corn syrup into the powdered sugar until well combined (I use a bowl and a spoon). Add the brite white and mix well. The brite white helps prevent the icing from getting cloudy and spotty, though I only had that problem when I refrigerated the decorated cookies. At this point, I play with the icing until I get the consistency I want, which is similar to white school glue. To thicken, add more powdered sugar. To thin, and more corn syrup. Divide and color.

For the final outlining icing, I add more powdered sugar until the icing is the consistency of peanut butter.

I use this recipe exclusively. I searched high and low for a good cookie icing recipe and I can't thank GeminiRJ enough for sharing her recipe. I do add almond extract to give it more flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%