Is Color Flow Easier Than Ri (Please Let It Be....)?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 2:22am by Elise87

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:43am
post #1 of 8

i need to do a cake decoration that looks like the logo below (omg....shoot me...)

i am a walking disaster area each time i try to use royal icing. i do all my cookies in glace which i love, but every now and then i just have to use the RI...and each time, i find a new way to screw it up. the icing is too dry and flakes off the cookie. the icing won't dry. the icing turns into foam. and the worst, when i try and pipe letters or lines using a no. 1 tip, the icing curls back up on itself like its trying to climb back in the bag (i am so bad a i scare icing...).

is color flow less tempermental (...less likely that i could screw it up) than royal icing, or is it pretty much the same thing?

thanks!
diane
LL

7 replies
CakeVision Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeVision Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 8

Pretty much same thing...(ColorFlow vs Thinned Royal Icing). On the upside, once your outlining is done the rest easy. If your RI is curling back on itself with a #1 tip, then thin it slightly or move up to #2 tip if the design will take it. HTH

Liz

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 8

1. LOL to the sacred icing, this happens to me too sometimes icon_biggrin.gif

2. Woah! to the complexity of the logo

3. Isn't color flow done with royal icing? This is what i thought anyway. I have done it on cookies and it worked out just fine. What recipe do you use for the RI?

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 8

oh yeah, i'll be dumbing this logo down for certain, lol.

i use the RI icing recipe from cookie craft with meringue powder.
and when my icing does that curling out of the tip manuever that i am beginning to take personally, i do thin it out. a 1/2-1 teaspoon of water at a time. i keep adding, it keeps curling....then when i do get something that doesn't curl, it won't dry. i don't know why i cannot find my happy place with RI consistency for piping.

i also moved up to tip two and it still curled.

i just lost 24 cookies because the thinned icing (so where it wouldn't curl when i piped and outline) held it's shape, but stayed tacky for 2 days.

i just cannot figure out where i am going so heinously wrong...

Elise87 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:07am
post #5 of 8

yeh i use Antonia74's royal icing with has meringue powder too. Um maybe it is taking so long to dry cose the icing is so thin? But then you go back to the problem that it won't pipe right.....that's a doozie lol Maybe we should try less pressure when we start piping the line and that would stop it curling up?

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:08am
post #6 of 8

They sell a RI mix at cake supply stores. At least the one I go to has it. It's foolproof. Add water and mix. I thought colorflow was thinned down RI. Good luck on that design. Post a pic when you're done!

I don't know what the details of your order are, but I was wondering what the possibilities were for you to do a Frozen BC transfer.

Elise87 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:11am
post #7 of 8

or paint with diltued paste colours on fondant if you are doing fondant cake...

Elise87 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #8 of 8

ALSO...me again sorry lol You could ask TracyLH if she knows how to stop it curling at the top of the tip (and then tell me lol) because she has done so many great cookies doing the color flow RI and might have some tips on how to stop it if she has had that happen to her before icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%