Mff -- Outdoor Wedding --- 100+ Temps ...

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 12:42am by Mom23Angels

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 20

I just found out that the wedding I am doing on July 25 will be outside. I have attached the cake she wants me to do. The buttercream should be fine - I am using indydebi's recipe, but what about the fondant? I made my first batch of Michele Foster's MFF yesterday (BLACK icon_smile.gif), but I just don't know how it will hold up in the Texas heat. I've read some threads and most people say they use Satin Ice outside in the heat. I really don't want to spend the extra $$ if MFF will work. I've heard such good things about it ...

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.
LL

19 replies
tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 20

I did a wedding on Saturday. The cake was inside and chilled. Once it went into the 80+ degree weather and sat for an hour it was completely sagging. I used MMF also.

mbt4955 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 20

tarheelgirl - did you use marshmallow fondant-MMF? I'm hoping to use Michele Foster's MFF, but I don't know that it will make that much difference.

I keep forgetting that Michele lives in Texas. I'm going to just email her and ask. icon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 20

Yes, marshmellow fondant. I have not tried her recipe yet. I'd love to know if it holds up better too.

mbt4955 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 20

I emailed Michele - I'll let you know.

Mom23Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23Angels Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:15am
post #6 of 20

Did you hear back from Michele? I'm doing an outdoor cake for August (Iowa) and was wondering if the MFF is a good option....

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #7 of 20

If you're using black, then I'd order fondant anyway. It's very very hard to color MMF black. You have to use tons of color and it changes the texture of the MMF. It makes it tacky.
I'd let your bride know that you'll have to order fondant because the cake is going to be outside and pass the cost along to her.

Jodie

mbt4955 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #8 of 20

Michele said that she just keeps the a/c on FRIGID when she is delivering. I'm going to test mine on a dummy this weekend. We are already in the 90's, so I'm going to use Debi's buttercream and my black MFF that I made last weekend - set it out in the sun and see what happens. I'll let everyone know ....

I still haven't heard from MOB about the venue and whether it can stay inside until the reception. That will make a huge difference ...

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:24am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

If you're using black, then I'd order fondant anyway. It's very very hard to color MMF black. You have to use tons of color and it changes the texture of the MMF. It makes it tacky.
I'd let your bride know that you'll have to order fondant because the cake is going to be outside and pass the cost along to her.

Jodie

MMF is hard to get black, but I have found MFF is AMAZING when trying to get it black. It accepts the color just wonderful!

spencersmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spencersmom98 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:30am
post #10 of 20

Are you guys dying your MMF black while it is in the liquid stage? It's a lot easier that way!

mbt4955 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:40am
post #11 of 20

I used CK black powder and put it in with my powdered sugar. I didn't use enough, so I added Super Black while it was in my mixer. I have LOTS of the powder color on my supply order, so hopefully I will get it dark enough without having to add any gel color. That should help. It is definitely black though. icon_smile.gif

I'm off to the airport - 2 hour drive and so far the flight is an hour late. I'm hoping I get back home by 2 am. We'll see ... icon_cry.gif

mbt4955 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #12 of 20

I've been reading another thread about using ganache underneath fondant in place of buttercream. They say that the ganache holds up much better outside than buttercream does and that it is much easier to get sharp corners, etc.

I think I'm going to make a small batch of white chocolate ganache this weekend and test it outside too (with MFF).

Mom23Angels Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 20

Martha, I was wondering if you tried your outdoor test (maybe I missed a post with the results - sorry if that's the case). I'd love to hear what happened to your MMF outsie in the heat : )

Mom23Angels Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm
post #14 of 20

Martha, I was wondering if you tried your outdoor test (maybe I missed a post with the results - sorry if that's the case). I'd love to hear what happened to your MMF outsie in the heat : )

CuttingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuttingCakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:23pm
post #15 of 20

Just wondering if any one has used choco pan in the heat and what the results were.

mbt4955 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:46pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23Angels

Double post ...

mbt4955 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 20

I'm getting really frustrated about posting issues. I wrote a detailed reply about my heat test, hit submit and waited and waited ... hit escape so that it wouldn't post 4 times and it never showed up at all.

So ... I used half buttercream and half white chocolate ganache underneath MMF. Put it outside with a cardboard box over the top to keep the birds and squirrels out. Air could come up from the underneath so it wasn't completely enclosed. Left it out for about 90 minutes ... the fondant actually did fine. I was very pleased. The buttercream and ganache were pretty soft, but they didn't melt in that period of time. 3-4 hours - probably a different story.

I had used white chocolate chips and I was NOT happy with the taste of the ganache. Until I can get some good white chocolate (November maybe? icon_cry.gif), I will either do dark chocolate ganache or none at all. That means this cake will be Indydebi's buttercream and it will be more work for me, but it will taste good. icon_biggrin.gif

Mom23Angels Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:38am
post #18 of 20

Thanks so much for sharing your results! I'm glad to know that the MMF and BC combination did well in the heat. And, now I won't bother experimenting with white chocolate chips for ganache.

Thanks for sharing....and for battling the current issues with the site icon_smile.gif

Mom23Angels Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:41am
post #19 of 20

Thanks so much for sharing your results! I'm glad to know that the MMF and BC combination did well in the heat. And, now I won't bother experimenting with white chocolate chips for ganache.

Thanks for sharing....and for battling the current issues with the site icon_smile.gif

Mom23Angels Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:42am
post #20 of 20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%