Wedding Cake Top Tier - Pillar Question

Decorating By val_nutrimetics Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 1:29am by jamiekwebb

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 12

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question regarding the top tier of a wedding cake. I have aways figured that the best way for a bride and groom to be able to save the top tier for their first anniversary was to have the top tier on pillars. So that is what I had in mind for the wedding cake that I have coming up, but after pricing the fresh flowers I was planning on using between the top two tiers (mini calla lilies - $6/flower), I have started to wonder if maybe I should stack the cake instead. Okay - so now my actual question - will the top tier be wrecked when the staff takes it off for the bride and groom? I am just a little worried that it won't look nice anymore next year. I would appreciate any and all input!

Thanks,
Valerie

11 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 12

Depending on the type of border on the top tier...yes you probably will have some 'damage' but then wrapping it up for freezing will also 'damage' it!
If you would rather use the pillars, why not make the mini calla's? They are easy to make and not $6.00 a stem! You could use gumpaste or fondant to make them, allowing a bit longer for the fondant to set up.

val_nutrimetics Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for you reply! I considered making the flowers, but I decided that since the extent of my flower making skills stops at fondant roses, that it would probably look much nicer to put fresh flowers. I wish I could make flowers half as beautiful as many of the people here on CC, but I would be too worried about making the cake look childish rather than elegant.
Would it be best to use a ribbon if I decide to stack the cake instead of using the pillars?

Valerie.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 12

If you can make fondant roses, then you can definitely make calla lillies, they're simple.

Does the bride care if the cake is stacked or placed on pillars?

Another option is to offer the couple a coupon for a free 6" anniversary cake. I just make a simple white or chocolate iced in buttercream, with a few flowers and Happy 1st Anniversary written on it.

I actually let the couple decide which they'd prefer. Saving the top tier or the coupon for a fresh cake.

Lately most are choosing the coupon.

val_nutrimetics Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:34am
post #5 of 12

Well, the bride doesn't actually know what the cake is going to look like. I am making this as a favor to my cousin (it is her friend getting married - and she told her she would take care of the cake for her). My cousin doesn't really mind one way or another either - so basically it will be my call. Is there a tutorial on CC for making calla lilies?
dkelly - that is a really good idea offering the coupons in place of saving the cake! I'll talk to my cousin and see what she thinks about that option.

Thanks,
Valerie.

Deb_ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:39am
post #6 of 12

I found this tutorial under the "articles" tab at the top of this page.......
http://www.cakecentral.com/article24-Step-By-Step-Gumpaste-CallaLilies.html

HTH

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #7 of 12

Calla Lillies are very easy and our own Edna from Designmeacake.com was kind enough to do a tutorial on it for us. It's about four parts and fabulous!

Many thanks again to Edna, she rocks!

val_nutrimetics Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:46am
post #8 of 12

Thanks for the link dkelly! They actually do look easy enough. I probably will give them a try and if they turn out nice I will stick with the pillars. Otherwise, if they don't work out so good for me, I will stack the cake and give them the option of the coupon.
Thanks to both of you for your help!
Valerie.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:47am
post #9 of 12

I found this tutorial on youtube for gum paste calla lillies...it is in four parts

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:52am
post #10 of 12

ps. fresh calla lilies are toxic icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

ps. fresh calla lilies are toxic icon_smile.gif

Great point...............didn't even think of that icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #12 of 12

Here is Ednas tutorial... these are so easy, if you can do roses you can do these.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%