Wilton Instructors

Decorating By eggsnbakin Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 9:54pm by eggsnbakin

eggsnbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eggsnbakin Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 6

I recently became an instructor at our local Hobby Lobby. The first month, I had 7 people for Course 1, then the second month I had six for Course 1 but not enough for a Course 2. Then, I call Hobby Lobby today for June and they said I only had two signed up for Course 1 and 3 signed up for Course 2. I can't have a class at all this month.

I have given them flyers to set out with class dates/times as I am not allowed to set them out myself. I have only seen them out a couple of times.

Just getting discouraged on how to get people in the class if I'm harldy allowed to advertise in the store.

Also, on the hobby lobby instructor site there is an article on how to grow your business. One of the things is to host a class at your local high schoole, etcetera....but are we allowed to do that? I just don't get this at all.

5 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know anything about Hobby Lobby because there are no stores anywhere near here.
But, if it's any consolation, I have delayed taking the course at Michael's because things are so hectic this time of year with graduations, weddings, communions and confirmations, end of school year stuff, etc. I'm thinking of waiting until the Fall, because the summer isn't much better. Maybe other people are feeling the same way I am.
A demonstration or class somewhere else sounds good. Can you do a demo at your home or community center or church? Get people interested, but don't tell them too much. They have to take the class to learn the good stuff!
Good luck to you.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 6

If there haven't been classes there in a while it will take time to make people aware there are classes again.

Have you included the information about giving the flyers to the store but them not being used on your tracking? Be sure to let your Wilton CMS know your issues you are having with the store, and hopefully she can give you some ideas to work with.

Also have you been to the WMI Yahoo group? It is a board for just WMI's to discuss store and class issues. There are alot of great WMI's on there that can pass down some of their wisdom on how to handle this.

To subscribe send an email to: [email protected]

I'm at Michaels but am having trouble with the 4 people rule, so I totally understand your frustrations. Have you thought about contacting the students and seeing if they are willing to do the Fondant and Gumpaste course instead of Course 1 and Course 2? If you put the 4 together you can still run a class. I've had several people take F/GP with out Course 1 and have done okay.

Mom2LiamandQuinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 6

I started in November, and my enrollment has REALLY dropped off the past 2 months. All of my Course Ones since Nov. have had at least 8 students, last month I had one signed up (didn't run), this month I have 3 (my SM gave me permission to run it anyway). I HOPE that people are just busy this time of year.

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 6

Hi--I teach at HL, also. Traditionally, starting in May, the enrollment decreases due to graduations and vacations for the summer. Try not to get discouraged. It seems to pick back up as school starts in again.

Sometimes it helps to explain the minimum enrollment to the students, and encourage them to invite a friend or family member to sign up with them--that makes the class more fun for them, as well as helping your enrollment.

I'm not sure why you can't put out advertising in the store--maybe it is different from store to store--but I'm allowed to put flyers out in the front as well as hang signs in the Wliton aisle. Maybe you could talk to your manager or supervisor to see it this would be OK?

Hang in there--As people become more aware that classes are offered there, your enrollment should pick up. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

eggsnbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eggsnbakin Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the suggestions, I have scheduled a demo for June 13 so hopefully I can get some folks to sign up for July! I joined the yahoo group and am currently waiting for confirmation.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%